Proper placement of EOL Resistors

I have the Elk M1 Gold system and am not clear on where to put the EOL resistors. Are they supposed to go to the negative terminals at the panel on the return wire from the window switches, or are they supposed to go on the return wire at the switch? The manual seems to suggest they would go at the furthest point away from the panel, but I am sure that someone here knows the answer so that I don't have to experiment.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

With an Elk system, the resistors either belong at the sensor (farthest point) or in the trash can. The vote here is about 60/40. Search here and you can read more about the various pros & cons. They are not polarity sensitive, so it doesn't matter which side of the sensor you install them on.

Edit: Welcome to CocoonTech!

Thank you both for the input - I will be sure and read through some of the other posts to see what issues exist around using the EOL resistors. Twenty year ago, I used to install security systems for a living and we never used anything like this - but then again, today's systems transmit data so much faster.

Thanks again!!
Scott

Here is an article regarding which side of the zone the EOL should be placed http://www.sdmmag.com/CDA/Articles/Kinks_a...000000000067022.
Wow, I never thought about that. So I guess if you are ultra paranoid and using metal door jambs and doing remodeling and would never notice that your door is never registering as being opened, then there is a right way to do it. :) Seriously, he is technically correct, but it seems such a miniscule chance of happening in residential work that if yours are wired backwards I wouldn't worry about it.

And it is kind of funny that the diagrams are mislabeled. One of them should be "short to ground NOT detected".

It doesn't matter where you put them. Sensors/Devices should be tested periodically, anyway.

EOL Means End OF Line...

In a residential burglar application, I vote trash can. :huh:

A normally closed zone input loop on the M1 will give much better transient and lightning protection because the loop is shorted to the negative side of the power supply and any transient must exceed 8 volts for the loop response time which is normally 400 milliseconds. On a EOL zone the noise margin is only about 2 volts.

In a residential burglar application, I vote trash can. :huh:

A normally closed zone input loop on the M1 will give much better transient and lightning protection because the loop is shorted to the negative side of the power supply and any transient must exceed 8 volts for the loop response time which is normally 400 milliseconds. On a EOL zone the noise margin is only about 2 volts.
Wow, this is a VERY good point. One that I had not thought of. Far outweighs the small advantage of having a fault if your wiring goes bad when using EOL's (which should be few and far between if you did a good job in the first place). Of course I agree with the caveat of "household" applications and not commercial applicable.

Back