Question For Spanky On Naming Of Elk M1 Outputs

BDHall

I believe there was mention of some Elk M1 memory being freed up in some of the more recent firmware releases. Is there any possibility that support for naming outputs between 65 and 208 will be added?

I posted this question on the HomeSeer site and later realized it might be better asked here.

Thanks for the great products and support!

Brian

I would love that! It's a bit of a pain to keep track of which "fake" outputs are used and what they are for.

In earlier versions of the M1 software, you could only program the output names in the first 32 outputs. We recovered some additional EEProm memory and expanded the output naming up to output 64. Currently, the EEProm memory is not available to expand the output naming beyond output 64. Should we pull a "Rabbit's Memory Out Of The Hat", it will be on the top of the list to improve.

As we move forward, memory will not be a design limitation. <_<

I also hope it will be able to make my bed now (since that's about the only thing it can't do).

I have one other request - an expansion module that can automatically clean up all the cable messes in my closets.

Actually my only request is backward compatability with the expansion modules (at least the I/O expanders)

-brad

In earlier versions of the M1 software, you could only program the output names in the first 32 outputs. We recovered some additional EEProm memory and expanded the output naming up to output 64. Currently, the EEProm memory is not available to expand the output naming beyond output 64. Should we pull a "Rabbit's Memory Out Of The Hat", it will be on the top of the list to improve.

As we move forward, memory will not be a design limitation. <_<

Thanks for the response and for the consideration for this needed feature. I do understand that you can't use what is not there.

As far as moving forward, should we start saving our pennies?

Thanks again!
Brian

I've got an office that will need a new alarm panel in '08, as the DSC that's there is getting long in the tooth. If an M2 is coming, please let us know as soon as possible! I'll pull the M1 out of the house, move it to the office (less need for bells and whistles) and put the fancy new guy into the house. I just want to know whether or not to put off the DSC replacement...

Joe

As we move forward, memory will not be a design limitation. :)

Sounds like an M2G is in the works. ;) If so, hopefully it is physically like the M1g, so that existing users can perform a direct replacement.

Or, they've figured out to add an expansion module by the RS485 bus that can store expanded rulesets. This way they continue to sell the M1G and can also have removed the memory space issues for those that need more space.

I would like to see support for multiple RS485 buses. This would allow me to run multiple buildings thru one central M2Gold system. The current 4000' limitation is a problem as i have building 900 feet away which eats up 1800 feet of the bus, plus a couple other runs to other buildings and my shop is 14000sqft.

Better yet, support for a new type of bus design to allow the system to be more suited for large scale installs, (c-bus / a-bus).

Looking forward to M2!!!

Curt

The M1 has support for Cbus from Square D. There currently is available an interface board from Ness Security in Australia (www.ness.com.au). ELK plans on offering the Cbus interface in the near future.

The M1DBHR has four RS-485 data buses. Technically each data bus can run 4000 feet. You just can not daisy chain them together due to bus response timing.

Back