Radio RA

It is HA/Graphical software that allows you to control devices, etc. It's strength is its ability to build nice graphical touch screen interfaces. When you get to the point of needing some software like that, you should look at several of the popular packages - Mainlobby and Charmed Chark (CQC) for touch screen interfaces and automation, then there are of course many others like Powerhome, Homeseer, etc (see the software thread).

Do you have a 'grand plan' for automation, or are just looking at automating lighting for now?

Sorry I can't help on the RadioRA stuff, I am not a fan of wireless.

Michael-

I had the Radio Ra installed in several rooms in my house. It worked great, but it was very expensive to upgrade.

I removed the radio RA and added x-10 switches. Now I am removing the x-10 switches and installing the UPB switches.

If you have any questions just ask.

Steve

Hi Michael, BTW, welcome to cocoontech!

MainLobby 3 is a flash base home and media automation software that runs on a PC platform.
Here is some of what you can do with regards to RadioRA (your subject):

You can put an in wall touchscreen (PC / windows based) or a wireless handheld touchscreen and build a great looking and functional user interface where all of your RadioRa (or other technology) lights are accessible via a floor plan view, or a drop down list of rooms / lights, or any number of different user interface metaphors. Then, you can control those RadioRA switches from any place you have a control interface. You could even use an $10 X10 RF handheld remote (sometimes called a PalmPad) talking to a $100 W800RF receiver and control your very expensive RadioRA lighting as the MainLobby software will bridge the two differnet technologies.

The MainLobby software also has full automation capability. So, you want the outside RadioRA light to turn on at dusk (which moves as the season moves)? Easy. Turn it off 4 hours later (programmatically). Or, if you're security system is tied into mainLobby, then when your driveway sensor goes off, turn on the garage light and foyer entrance lights. Now, if there is a security breech, turn on all of the lights.

This is just the tip of what you can do with PC based software automation tools. We also have dealers that can install and configure the system if you don't have the time or interest.

FWIW, I researched RadioRA, and going to save up my pennies for HomeWorks for 4 main reasons.

In order of descending priority:
1) Once we remodel (in 2-3 years), i’ll be at 45-50 loads minimum, RadioRA is odd >32 loads, undoable for >64.
2) Richer protocol allows a much more robust set of control than RadioRA. This is esp important given that I use CQC for all my Home Automation/Home Theater Automation needs.
3) Ability to have hardwired & wireless controls in same system
4) Better options for shade control

Steve said:
It is HA/Graphical software that allows you to control devices, etc. It's strength is its ability to build nice graphical touch screen interfaces. When you get to the point of needing some software like that, you should look at several of the popular packages - Mainlobby and Charmed Chark (CQC) for touch screen interfaces and automation, then there are of course many others like Powerhome, Homeseer, etc (see the software thread).

Do you have a 'grand plan' for automation, or are just looking at automating lighting for now?

Sorry I can't help on the RadioRA stuff, I am not a fan of wireless.
I am looking to start with lights, will move into the home theater room, would like to get the Harmony 1000 remote for the whole house.

Thanks for all the input, will do some more research of the UPB products.

Michael

Back