• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

RCS TS65I RS485 thermostat communication

chwojdak

Picked up a new ts65i thermostat on Ebay. The wall unit and control module work fine. Connected a PC via a RS485 converter. With the TS65I set to autosend, I get lots of good data. Following the procedure in the install manual and the command format in the RCS serial protocol document, i attempted to send commands via RS485. Got no response back on RS485 to a R1 status command. Could not command mode or setpoint changes. Basically could not get any response to RS485 commands. Checked the RS485 lines with a scope and data is being sent to the TS65I. The RCS website says they don't do support.
Can anybody help?
Thanks

Mark S.

It's been many years since I played with RS-485 and RCS thermostats, but I vaguely recall some kind of quirk about carriage returns.  Sorry, I don't remember any more than that.

chwojdak

Thanks for the info. I feel I have been doing everything correct. I have not been able to find detailed info on RCS model TS65I. I have info on a TR65. The one I bought is a mystery. RCS is not willing to help on any thermostat current or discontinued.
On a positive note I found a GE thermostat which is a rebranded RCS TR40 which is very close in functionality to the TS65I. I have had NO trouble communicating with it. I got it at a great price so it softened the loss on the TS65I.

chwojdak

What I am still in need of is an RCS TS15 four wire remote temperature sensor. I ordered one from SmartHome-Products and have not gotten it. They have not shipped it and are not responding to emails or phone calls. I think they are out of business. Does anyone know where I can get this sensor?

chwojdak

Just an update on the RCS TS65I RS485 thermostat. Any ASCII command string you send it has to be terminated with a CRC16-CCITT checksum. Not a simple task. I'm still finding out how to calculate it using Arduino C++.