• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Recommendations on a new external DVD writer.

Rupp

Guys,
I want to get a new external DVD writer and was looking for suggestions. TIA

smee

I'm partial to using internal Lite-On drives [1] and putting them in external enclosures myself. Currently, the only burner I have is internal (I gave away a CD burner that was running externally when I put the internal DVD burner in).

Here's what I'd do (both from Newegg):

External enclosure:
BYTECC 5.25" USB 2.0 External Enclosure
There are plenty of other external enclosures out there. I've used different size BYTECC enclosures (or the same enclosure with other brand names) for a while now and not had any problems. I'm not terribly thrilled with the way they are assembled (they're a bit of a pain to put together and take apart) but I've never had any problems. They are available with USB 2.0, firewire, SATA, or combinations of the above. I have an external DVD drive (not burner) in a combination USB2.0/firewire enclosure that works well.

Drive:
Lite-On 16X DVD Dual Drive

I sort-of picked a random Lite-On drive. It's up to you to determine what speed you want. My current drive is 8X for DVD+R and DVD-R (single layer) .

[1] I basically only buy and recommend Lite-On optical drives these days. There are plenty of other good drives out there, but I've never had a bad experience with a Lite-On.

Squintz

I got mine from E-bay it basically its a IDE to USB 2.0 convert that houses an internal IDE DVD burner.

I think this is the cheapest way to go. The IDE to USB 2.0 converter can be found for less than $30 each if you goto www.froogle.com and the drives are cheap now also. About $100 or so. I got mine as an all in one deal and it included a LG Burner. It came with good software but i have lost the software and canot find a replacement for it online.

I would not recomend getting an LG simply because their lacking in technical support. But i have not had any problems with it other than the fact that i cant find the software that come with it. I would check to see who offers the easiest and best customer and technical support.

jrfuda

Rupp, external as in for a PC or a set-top-box for using with TV? If it's a STB, I'd say holkd off for a while, they're as buggy as heck.

For PC-based, I like Squintz's recommendation. Just make sure your PC has good USB2.0. I recently had problems using an external USB2.0 HDD due to problems with the USB on my MoBo. A BIOS upgrade has sine fixed it, though.