• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Recommended sites for tuning Motion program?

JimS

Recently put Motion on a Pi and it is working ok but want to improve motion detection.  Any recommendations for sites that have good info on tuning?   Found a number of them that have basic information on various settings but not a really good site with suggestions for tuning.

For example, I have a number of captures of nothing.  Probably from trees moving, lighting changes (it's outside), or movement in areas outside of my interest.  Also missing a few events where it should be seeing lots of change.  So it appears I have several options to improve this:

There are several options such as despeckle and noise that I need to find more info on.

I set minimum_motion_frames to 3 to decrease false positives - it just seemed like a reasonable number....

A mask image to ignore the neighbors area, street, etc.  This looks much better than the coarse 9 areas predefined.  This is pretty simple and well covered.

Lighting changes can apparently be (somewhat) dealt with by using 'lightswitch' in motion.conf.  Non-zero values up to 100.  I haven't found anything on suggested values to use.

Framerate vs sensitivity.  It seems like a faster frame rate would decrease sensitivity as the changes would be less frame to frame.  I set up a frame rate of 10/second so I could get a good center of motion capture.  When a car comes in the drive it is typically about twice the sensitivity threshold.  But it also misses some cars - how do I figure out what is happening?  I considered using a very low threshold to get more data to try to figure this out.

Selecting the box around motion option seems like a good way to figure out what is causing unwanted captures.  I haven't tried this yet but will.

Overall I am impressed at how well this works and it was pretty easy to get a basic setup running.