Relay to Isolate 12v from a DS10a?

ver0776

I bought a $40 chinese door phone system from Geeks. I already have my doorstrike interfaced to my HA setup, but this phone has Doorstrike control built in. So my plan is to hook the Two wires from the phone that should go to the door stike to a sensor that will simply tell the HA system that the button was pressed and then let my existing system open the door.

The problem is that the relay on the phone puts out 12v, so my digital input board and DS10a won't acknowledge the circuit being closed. It is my understanding that I need to use the 12v signal from the phone to close another relay that would make a circuit on the other side that was passive and not have the 12v on the line. I am not much on electronics and there are so many relay types and models out there.

Can someone help me find a N.O. relay that the 12v signal would close, and would return to the N.O. state when the 12v power is removed?

Would it be something like this?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

Here is the text drawing:

phone-----12v-----relay----not 12v--------DS10A
^---------Black------^--------------------------^

Thanks!
Vaughn

I bought a $40 chinese door phone system from Geeks. I already have my doorstrike interfaced to my HA setup, but this phone has Doorstrike control built in. So my plan is to hook the Two wires from the phone that should go to the door stike to a sensor that will simply tell the HA system that the button was pressed and then let my existing system open the door.

The problem is that the relay on the phone puts out 12v, so my digital input board and DS10a won't acknowledge the circuit being closed. It is my understanding that I need to use the 12v signal from the phone to close another relay that would make a circuit on the other side that was passive and not have the 12v on the line. I am not much on electronics and there are so many relay types and models out there.

Can someone help me find a N.O. relay that the 12v signal would close, and would return to the N.O. state when the 12v power is removed?

Would it be something like this?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

Here is the text drawing:

phone-----12v-----relay----not 12v--------DS10A
^---------Black------^--------------------------^

Thanks!
Vaughn

Yes Vaughn that relay should work, conect the 12 volt across the coil of that relay and the Normally-open (NO) cotact and common to the ds10a

phone<----12v--->relay<--not 12v------->DS10A
^---------Black----^ ^-------2nd Black------^

That relay will work, but something like THIS has terminal screws which will be a little easier to wire to other than those solder pins of the Radio Shack one.

Back