• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Replacing 2-wire Smoke and Heat sensors for ELK M1gold

TriLife

Greetings,

So, a couple of months ago, I got a false Fire trouble call from the Alarm company...

Went and cleaned the sensor and disabled the thing until I could fix the problem (i was Stück out of the country due to Covid).

Now back, I removed the smoke sensor and noticed that there are are more sensors in the loop. I traded the wires to heat sensors above my two flash water heaters.

The tech at Alarm Relays says anything beyond 10 years of age is due for replacement.

The 2W-B is straightforward available on Amazon (expensive).

However, I'm having a hard time locating the heat sensor W15-Y04F (Chemetronics).

Can anyone recommend a 2-wire solution for heat and smoke sensors?

Thanks

RAL

For a 2-wire smoke zone, you need to choose a smoke detector that is certified for use with your alarm panel.  What brand/model of alarm panel do you have?  Is your current smoke detector a 2W-B? 

Heat detectors are pretty straight forward - they basically create a short across the zone loop.  I can't seem to find any specs on the Chemtronics model that you have. You'll need to choose from a detector that trips at either 135°F or 194°F, and whether you also want rate of rise detection or just temperature limit detection.  

The System Sensor 5600 series has a variety of heat detector models to choose from.

TriLife

Thanks RAL,

Yes, the 2W-B is what I currently have.

And on further examination, it seems like that was a date code, not a model number on the Chemtronics... It's 135F

I located both and ordered them. The 2W-B and the 5601P. Way cheaper from JEM security than Amazon, even paying for shipping.

Hope to be up and running soon...