Replacing an old Westec

cdr67

I have a Westec system that is 25 years old that would like to replace. I am leaning toward a Vista 20P control panel since I only need light automation.

I have spent a tremendous time reviewing this site and others. I feel very comfortable with the wiring and programming of the system. I am familiar with electric and LVD cabling. Alarms are new for me.

I was hoping for assistance with the following questions:

1) My existing zones are wired for EOLR with a measured resistance of 1500 ohms. Every panel I haved reviewed requires more resistance. I have removed a contact to determine if replacing the EOLR is possible. I don't think it's an option for me. My thought was to add a resistor in the can to meet the 2200 ohm requirement. I would like to know what I'm giving up or a better alternative.

2) The westec had zone 1 wired in parallel. 3 sets of contact were wired in the can. I separated them and performed a resistance test, and they measured approximatedly 500 ohms. I plan to separate each contact into a zone and will add resistance to match the panels requirements. Again I would appreciate any thoughts from someone experienced on my plan.

I am leaning toward a Vista 20P control panel since I only need light automation.

Ademco Vista 20P's are nice entry level security panels. However, I'm not familiar with them in terms of automation support from the various programs out there. HomeSeer for example has plugins for Napco Gemni, DSC and GE Caddx NetworX pannels. I've a GE Caddx NetworX 8 Version 2 panel and enjoy support from a large array of automation applications. Several Cocoontech members are Caddx owners. Of course the creame de la creame is the Elk M1. Others can also chime in on opinions of entry level panels.

cdr67 said:
1) My existing zones are wired for EOLR with a measured resistance of 1500 ohms. Every panel I haved reviewed requires more resistance. I have removed a contact to determine if replacing the EOLR is possible. I don't think it's an option for me. My thought was to add a resistor in the can to meet the 2200 ohm requirement. I would like to know what I'm giving up or a better alternative.

Is this because the EOLR is internal to the contacts? Perhaps a 700 ohm resistor in series with these contacts to raise them to the 2200 ohm requirement. It would be better to replace the EOLR with a 2200 ohm, which are usually included with the panels when purchased for the included number of zones. Also is the 2200 ohm or 2.2K requirement for the Ademco Vista 20P? My GE Caddx pannel uses 3.3K EOL resistors for contacts and 680 ohm for the 2 wire Smoke detectors.

Wired contact switches are not typically very expensive, so it may be better to replace with new contacts if the EOLR cannot be replaced. Don't know what the MTBF ratings for reed relay switches and whatnot, but if they are over 25 years old, it might be wise to get the new contacts so you don't have to chase down contact failures in a year or two.

cdr67 said:
2) The westec had zone 1 wired in parallel. 3 sets of contact were wired in the can. I separated them and performed a resistance test, and they measured approximatedly 500 ohms. I plan to separate each contact into a zone and will add resistance to match the panels requirements. Again I would appreciate any thoughts from someone experienced on my plan.

Very interesting. Sounds like a proprietary zone configuration. The GE NetworX panel I have is cable of "European double E.O.L tamper configuration" in which two 3.3K EOL resistors are used in combination for a contact and a "tamper" contact (example, several motion sensors have optional taper contacts). There is also a double zone approach with two normally closed contacts in parallel with one 6.98K resistor in series with one contact and a 3.74K resistor in series with the second contact. The 3.74K is for zones 1 through 8 and the 6.98K is for zones 9 through 16.

Personally, I added a separate NX-216E 16 zone expansion module and used single contacts and 3.3K resistors per zone. This way I know exactly what window, door or contact was triggered, rather an a zone assigned to a "room".

Back