Replacing Front Door - Best Home Automation Friendly Lock

personalt

I am replacing my front door and thinking about tying in some locks in to alarm/home automation combo.  I use ELK and getting back in to using CQC.

Goals - 
*When I leave for work I do not want to take a set of house keys when I go to work every day. 
*Arm should be able to tell if the door is locked such that I can lock it at night, based on time, based on alarm status.
*quickly and easily be able to open with a fob or phone but I also need a keypad or fingerprint backup just in case all this fancyness locks me out

I was thinking about an electric deadbolt, something like this http://www.seco-larm.com/SD-997B-GBQ.  I would tie it in to the ELK and CQC

Anyone use something similar?    How do you open it from inside and outside? I know I can use
* RFID tag attached to my elk keypad to allow me to dislarm alarm and ope the lock
* tie the lock to an ouput on the M1 and lock and unlock it via the  elk m1 app
* Use the NFC reader app in my phone to scan a tag near the door which in turn uses ' Tasker' to go a http request on CQC which opens the door. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs2OaEdVUGc   Tasker will hit a URL.  I have seen video of someone using nfc tags with tasker and CQC to send a message to a url within CQC
*On top of whatever else I do, I could likely put a motion sensor in the foyer so that it unlocks the door when someone goes near the door from the inside of the house.  it could then relock it. 

Is the electironic deadbolt the way to go..  I am worried that too many ways to control the door could be confusing...  

You're better off with a strike or electrified hardware. You have to consider preload on the door which would most likely cause that bolt you referenced to bind.

DELInstallations said:
You're better off with a strike or electrified hardware. You have to consider preload on the door which would most likely cause that bolt you referenced to bind.
Thanks...  Are you saying there would be a preload issue because someone will often be pushing on the door or are you saying a closed residential door often doesn't close in exactly the same way and has some preload.

I was thinking about a strike...  But all the strikes I have used in the past dont support deadbolts.   The other concern that I had was that I wouldnt be able to tell if the deadbolt was open.  It looks like there might be some strikes that support a deadbolt and a regular handleset.   Something like this.
http://www.seco-larm.com/access-control/door-strikes/SD-996C-NUVQ

Maybe the best choice is a maglock but I was thinking they were kinda an eyesore

Del -  I was re-reading some of your other posts on door locks and it seems like you mention electrified locksets in some threads.   Is that something you (still) recommend? 

I assume you mean something like these SDC ones? http://sdcsecurity.com/electrified-locksets.htm.  
If so, I searched a ton of videos and they talk a lot how they come in 12/24 volts and failsafe and fail-secure but they dont really explain how this lock works.  Are you sending a signal to lock and unlock the door or are these self locking doors that you send(or remove) voltage to temporally release the lock?  They key then would temporarily release the lock as well?   It seems like these are self locking from outside and you send a signal to temporarily unlock them.  Is that correct?  

If so, these would seem functionally similar to a strike release combined with self locking handlesets?

I guess what I really want to know is what you would recommend for a residential front door that I can lock and unlock with the alarm.   I dont necessarily want something self locking as I dont want to get locked out when i take out the garbage.  It seems like most of these systems are designed to be self-locking.   I was also thinking about a deadbolt compatible strike release but I see people in my house unlocking the deadbolt to exit and when then defeates the lock.  Is there anything that isnt self locking that you recommend?

I use SD-997B on my front door. It is a double door, so that was the only feasible option. The lock is operated by HAI controller, it has a HAI keypad installed on the outside and an exit push button on the inside. It reports status, so you can know if its jammed. It is fail-save, so it better be connected to a UPS to function as desired during power outages. Pretty straightforward basic control, and you can do whatever you want on top of that via the automation controller.

I wouldn't go Secolarm personally. Not a huge supplier of electrified hardware. SDC only adds the electric portion to commercially available locks. Almost any piece of hardware can be ordered electrified (commercially speaking).

As far as preload on a door, if you have weatherstripping and anything else on the door (typical residential) there's going to be some sort of preload on the latching hardware. Nature of the beast.

When it comes to electrified hardware, generally speaking, is not going to be readily available in the finishes and lever styles most people desire.

The hardware should be fail-secure. Operation from there is determined by the controller, but generally you'd run a 3-5 second unlock which stops when the door is opened or times out. A REX is not necessary unless you're intending on having a DSM and alarm armed all the time (very rare).

As far as deadlatching, that would be a function of whether or not the door is ANSI prepped and what the prep is and spacing.

My front turn signal light only come on when I turn on the headlights, but the flash module doesnt have any effect on them. Im looking for a ground somewhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

personalt said:
Del -  I was re-reading some of your other posts on door locks and it seems like you mention electrified locksets in some threads.   Is that something you (still) recommend? 

I assume you mean something like these SDC ones? http://sdcsecurity.com/electrified-locksets.htm.
If so, I searched a ton of videos and they talk a lot how they come in 12/24 volts and failsafe and fail-secure but they dont really explain how this lock works.  Are you sending a signal to lock and unlock the door or are these self locking doors that you send(or remove) voltage to temporally release the lock?  They key then would temporarily release the lock as well?   It seems like these are self locking from outside and you send a signal to temporarily unlock them.  Is that correct?  

If so, these would seem functionally similar to a strike release combined with self locking handlesets?

I guess what I really want to know is what you would recommend for a residential front door that I can lock and unlock with the alarm.   I dont necessarily want something self locking as I dont want to get locked out when i take out the garbage.  It seems like most of these systems are designed to be self-locking.   I was also thinking about a deadbolt compatible strike release but I see people in my house unlocking the deadbolt to exit and when then defeates the lock.  Is there anything that isnt self locking that you recommend?

I'll preface this with, I haven't installed an electronic strike, but have done a fair amount of research as I was looking to have one installed on a new construction home when we were looking to build. I've only installed a mag-lock (on my previous garage entry door). 

You can use an existing door hardware with many strikes. Typically, you would leave the hardware set in the "locked" position, and utilize the strikes ability to secure or unsecure the strike as needed. However, when you take out the trash, you could simply "unlock" the hardware, and turn the handle for re-entry just as you do today. 

Back