robolos home automation

robolo

I've taken away a lot of info from this site and wanted to show how I put it to use.

Home built in 1937. 5,500 sq ft, 3 floors

Summary
Security: Elk M1 with 52 zones including smoke, heat, CO, water
Automation Interface: Charmed Quark (CQC)
Audio: limited whole house with Nuvo Simplese
Distributed Video,TV, and PVR: MythTV (Linux program)
CCTV: 2 security cameras so far with more planned
CCTV monitoring: Zoneminder (Linux program) storing previous 2 weeks of 24/7 monitoring
Lighting: UBP
Irrigation: 11 zones, Rain8UPB
HVAC: Aprilaire 8870 x 2 with future zoned control planned
Pool: Goldline Aqua-Logic interface with CQC
Touchscreens: ELO 1545 driven by HP t5700 thin client

In Wall Touchscreen Installation:

I planned to mount this in my entryway. There was no placed for acess to the back of the wall so I planned to run wiring for the computer back to my main automation center in the basement. This would include power, USB and VGA cabling. That way I would avoid having to put an outlet inside the wall and not have transformers within the wall for the display.

Located space in wall and chiseled out some of the studs to allow the panel to sit flush on the wall. Ran my wires including 2 x cat5e and a 22/4 speaker cable. The distance to the computer location is only about 30 feet. I used UTP but if going longer distance I would use STP. I bought a cheap USB-cat5e balun on ebay and an unpowered cat5e - VGA adaptor plug. Again if going a longer distance I would opt for a powered VGA-cat5e balun. Ignore the wires along the right side of the opening. They go to an existing outlet.

DSCN1030.JPG

I a used 15" ELO 1545 I got off ebay. Removed the original plastic bezel and secured the touchscreen to the panel with double sided tape. I added a single crosspiece of wood along the lower stud span and secured the touchscreen to the studs and crosspiece with screws after connecting all the wires. I am using Charmed Quark for my automation interface.

DSCN1031.JPG

cont....

Touchscreen cont...

I had a picture framer make a frame with the interior dimensions of the viewable area. When not being used for control I have a slide show screensaver cycle through family photos.
Here is the final result.

DSC_0839.JPG

More to come...
Robert

I also had to notch-out one stud in order to recess the monitor. I assume you also confirmed that you didn't notch studs in a load-bearing wall. :angry:

BTW, that's an impressive list of accomplishments! Congratulations!

Back