Running long SPDIF cable

bfisher

I want to run a SPDIF cable (RCA plug at each end, carries digital audio signals (similar to optical but uses wire instead)) that needs to be about 60 feet long and run in-wall. Anybody have a recommendation on the best (and easiest) way to do it? I know I can just buy a long RCA cable, but I don't think they are in-wall rated...

Thanks!

Just use RG59 and RCA twist on connectors.

Thanks... I figured there had to be an easy way :)

You could also use Cat 5, and Leviton RCA to 110 inserts. Leviton part number 40735-ROW

Thanks. I tried their SVideo one time... wasn't impressed. I don't know how different (robust) the audio signal is versus video... SVideo would probably be more picky...

Any thoughts about the audio/video sync... my video cable will be short (3 ft), but audio will be 60 ft, to an amp out to speakers... wonder if that will cause any issues with the audio being a fraction of a second later than the video signal...

Thanks!

Any thoughts about the audio/video sync... my video cable will be short (3 ft), but audio will be 60 ft, to an amp out to speakers... wonder if that will cause any issues with the audio being a fraction of a second later than the video signal...

Thanks!

The time difference is (60-3 feet) /( (186,000 miles/sec) * (5280 Feet/mile) ) = 58 nanoseconds. A wave with a period of 2 x 58 nanoseconds ~= 9 megahertz or about 450 times faster than the upper limit of human hearing.

So it's not even a theroretical issue even if my 'rithmetic is off by a factor of 1000 or so -- unlike the audible and significant cancellations and reinforcements by differences in the distances of reflected _sound waves_ in real rooms.

.... Marc

Thanks Collin - I went ahead and ordered some compression ones. Hopefully they work with my compression tool...

And thanks for the math lesson marc :)

The time difference is (60-3 feet) /( (186,000 miles/sec) * (5280 Feet/mile) ) = 58 nanoseconds.
And if you wish to recover those 58 nanoseconds, you can do so by moving the speakers .76 thousandth of an inch closer to you. :)

Back