SA US140T Review

hucker

I've been one of the UPB lover/UPB delay haters here....

I just got one of the new 140T switches, installed it in our bathroom and all I can say is that the WAF-delay factor is no longer an issue! It is that simple. It really works well. If you pay attention (closely) you can still sense the delay, but it is not long enough for you to get the 'did I press the right button' thought in your head. The timer also is pretty cool as you can get things out of your home automation logic and pushed into the switches.

The only 'bad' thing is that the 140T is not necessarily compatible with a 130! The 140 can only take the single paddle switch face. In several places I have double paddles. I was hoping this new change would improve the performance of double paddle switch response but it doesn't. I'll let you know about that when I get a new 240 stuff.

If the delay has you on the fence it is time to get off. This new stuff rocks

I can definitely say that I'll be buying some new UPB stuff. :)

I've been one of the UPB lover/UPB delay haters here....
I just got one of the new 140T switches, installed it in our bathroom and all I can say is that the WAF-delay factor is no longer an issue!
If the delay has you on the fence it is time to get off. This new stuff rocks

:lol:
hucker:

What firmware revision is in your new switch?

RM

Is the timer feature a feature of the switch itself or is it Gen II? I can't find anything that says Simply Automated went with Gen II.

Is the timer feature a feature of the switch itself or is it Gen II? I can't find anything that says Simply Automated went with Gen II.

What does GenII mean? I *thought* it was based on the features in the switch. Is GenII a protocol change? AFAICT the timer is just a feature of the switch (as is the delay).

IMHO, I think 'Gen II' is a bit more marketing than technology. PCS lists these as the components of Gen II. To me, Gen II would/should include an evolutionary change to the protocol itself. While there are some tweaks, most of the things are more 'features' that some other manufacturers have already had. SAI had blue leds, they lowered the delay and had a timer. PCS includes that as part of Gen II. So its really a bit misleading. SAI does not refer to their switches as Gen II and the only thing they are 'missing' is the ability to control noise sensitivity with UPStart.

So, from what I have learned I would not get wrapped up in Gen II terminology and still just go with a UPB switch based on features, etc that you desire. All of the mfgs will constantly tweak their feature sets but only a major protocol change across the board should be 'generational' imho.

What does GenII mean? I *thought* it was based on the features in the switch. Is GenII a protocol change? AFAICT the timer is just a feature of the switch (as is the delay).
I'll be at the PCS factory on Monday or Tuesday, I'll get it clarified. I think Gen II is a protocol change. That is part of the reason that the phase coupling repeater only works with Gen II and PCS offers a money back guarantee on Gen II installations.

It is indeed a significant change to the protocal itself. I've noticed a huge difference inside noisy invironments the success. The problem with SA is they have not yet been pushed to add this to their devices. HAI and PCS have made the change and SA is behind 'cause of the memory usage for multiple faceplates.

Have you had failure to communicate?

The comm test even shows in comparison higher signal levels to the old firmware.

hmmm... the wife won't be happy about me having to replace all those switches, but if the stronger signal and better reliability is really happening, maybe i can talk her into it.

Back