• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Security wiring

english_1969

In prepping to pre-wire for security among other things, I was thinking about pulling the same wire throughout the house for all the security sensors.

I was going to go with a 4 conductor cable. Can someone suggest the min wire size I should probably use? Would 24AWG solid work?

Thanks,
WE

Steve

22 Gauge is the standard for security cable. 24 Gauge is Cat5. I usually use 22/2 for all contacts/sensors and 22/4 for motions and glass breaks.

Steve

Some people do use the same cable - I've even seen people use cat5 for contacts, etc or just 22/4 for everything. So it will all work, just what you are comfortable with. I just prefer separating it for the need.

sic0048

I would also guess that if you are trying to qualify for a discount on your homeowners insurance, etc, they will require a UL approved system. They are pretty particular in what wire they want used. So if you used Cat5 throughout, I don't think it would meet the UL requirements so technically no discount on your homeowners insurance.

I for one would not want to have a claim that was rejected because something in my alarm installation didn't meet industry standards.

CollinR

They are usually inside the install manual for UL listed alarms, makes it easy. :D

Also as Mike said 22-2 for doors and windows, 22-4 for motions, glass breaks and some smokes. Also you should use 18-2 for the power supply to the alarm. If you just buy your wire from a security shop you'll know it's rated for in wall and all that good stuff. ;)