Sensor replacement

Steve

Question for the intrusion sensor experts. On windows I have wired alarm screens on the bottom and on the top I either have the glass mount Sentrol sensor or on windows that are 'divided' I have older Ultrak vibration/shock sensors mounted on the frame which are fed into an MA-350 shock analyzer. This system was put in and based on technology 13 years ago.

When I replace system with the M1 I would like to simplify things a bit, meaning I would like to eliminate the MA-350's and associated wiring. What would be the best to replace them. I guess 1 choice is an acoustical breakage sensor but I thought they were prone to falsing (at least what I've heard in the past), or what about something like these: http://www.sentrol.com/products/PRD_Det_ab...=5400&ListID=15 They seem similar to the Ultrak's but without the separate analyzer. What would be your recommendations - one of these or other? Thanks!

Hi Steve, I'm not familiar with that one but I think I would consider using one of the ones with the wide range so you don't need one on each window in a room. One like this.

I use the wide range acoustical sensors (similar to what Martin is showing you above) to cover many windows at a time. I've not had any falses or problems from them...

bfisher said:
I use the wide range acoustical sensors (similar to what Martin is showing you above) to cover many windows at a time. I've not had any falses or problems from them...
Did you break a window to make sure they worked (covered the range)? (Sorry, I couldn't resist :blink: )

Actually I might test mine with a burned out light bulb to see if that will trigger them. I can trigger them by clapping two pieces of wood together, but I have to do it very hard.

excellent point BSR. I can't test the range since I haven't been able to find a glass-break test module (GE makes one I believe). I've suggested to Martin he have one available for rent - but I don't think there much of a business model in that! ;)

Like you - I can clap my hands together, or 2 pieces of wood - to set them off... but I can't test the range. I used the old-fashioned tape measure and made sure I was less than their spec.

I agree and like the simplicity of these but you have pointed out some reasons to add to my skepticism. What if you clapped your hands near one when the system was armed, or better yet system is armed in Nite Instant mode and you are watching TV loud where someone claps their hands or on Warehouse Warriors they drop a piece of wood. Would that be enough to trip it? Also, it looks like there are different models that have dual technology where they first listen for low frequency of glass flexing then high freq of shatter. They claim to be less falsing. Something like this http://www.home-technology-store.com/detail.aspx?ID=577. Wonder if these are better than the Sentrol acoustic only?

I have a glass break sensor mounted in my theater - about 7 ft high and off center (and behind) the center channel. We tend to watch movies very loud and I was worried about this too. One night, I armed the system - and we watched a loud movie... and I saw the activity light flicker occaisionally. There was a scene where someone broke a glass window - and the sensor flickered exactly like it was going to go off - so I hit mute (since it was 11pm at night and I didn't figure my neighbors wanted to hear it).

I've never gone back to test it since when I'm in theater mode, my Homevision Pro tells the Caddx to bypass the glass break sensor in the theater. When we turn off the movie - it re-enables it. When I get back home from this trip though - I'll give it a try.

Ya know, I wonder if something like this attached wav file would work for a glass break tester?

Attachments

• glasbk.zip
    15.6 KB · Views: 33
I was thinking the same thing. It may for the regular acoustical but most likely not for the dual mode which looks for the low freq flex (impact) b4 the high freq shatter as in this wav.

Mike said:
I noticed that in the description, what does the quiet part reference?
Accorting to Sentrol, "perfect solution for “quiet†rooms in your home, such as bedrooms, living rooms and family rooms." as opposed to kitchens and sliding glass doors. See http://www.sentrol.com/products/pdf/gbsensorsenduser.pdf

Since I have several sliders to protect including 'lived in areas' I'm thinking about the 5600 series on each door.

Steve said:
Since I have several sliders to protect including 'lived in areas' I'm thinking about the 5600 series on each door.
A theif will take those sliders off their tracks before breaking the glass so make sure you are supplementing with motions and mag contacts (I'm sure you are, just wanted to mention this) ;)

Sliding glass doors are one of the easiest access points to get into.

Yup, thanks BSR. That's another reason for me to use the 5600 over the general glass break sensor. The 5600's also have mag switch in addition to vibration/shock. They look like this. They look very similar to the Ultraks on there now but they don't use a separate analyzer- don't know if that makes them less sensitive or just newer technologoy? They also have 5400 and I'm trying to figure which one is better (you would think the 5600). Never had motions (pets) but may add some now, especially for the automation side. A good old fashioned pin also usually helps keep the door in place.

Did you ever try that wav file - just curious if it worked...

Dummy me:
5400 is shock and/or mag
5600 is glassbreak and or mag

Back