Setting up a domain and web hosting

I'm thinking of setting up my own domain and hosting some web pages, some images, and eventually being able to control my home over the next.

I'm guessing this is just as simply as registering a domain. Anyone have any recommendations of who to go through, etc.

There are actually two things you need to do, best done separately (IMHO), although you can get both through the same source.

First, you need to get the domain name. I went through Network Solutions, but that was 10 years ago, and there are many more options now. I believe I paid $79 for five years, the last time I renewed.

Then you need someone's DNS (Domain Name Server) to host your DNS records (the pointers that link your name to your IP address). If you have a fixed (static) IP address, then almost any ISP will provide DNS for free with internet access. I use Verizon with a static IP.

If you have a dynamic IP address, then you need a dynamic-dns service. I don't know much about them, but many people here use them.

Getting the name and the DNS separately is protection against an internet provider preventing you from switching by holding your name hostage. Many companies will sell you a domain name cheap, but will actually register it in THEIR name, to prevent you from going elsewhere.

Or you can work with one big, well known company.

I've been using 1and1.com for three years now. Very inexpensive, no problems, smooth transactions.

I am listed as registrant and admin at whois (des-web.net, if you want to look).

Domain is 5.99 a year if you go separate, or free if you do hosting. Hosting can be really cheap- I'm using the Home package at 4.99 a month, but they got down to 2.99. They include web page tools and stuff too.

For domain registrations, I use GoDaddy.com. I like to keep my domain seperate from my host, in case of problems. You can also use GoDaddy as the DNS host, or you can use a free solution such as ZoneEdit.com (I do both). As for hosting, I can't help much there :/

Names you usually keep, hosts can change. So I have around 8 domains all hosted by GoDaddy. Right now I am spread on 3 different hosts - there are many decent and inexpensive ones - it just depends what feature(s) you may be looking for.

My additional perspective is to think about what type of site you'd want, and ideally go with someone with chops in that arena.

For example, I wanted a joomla-based site for myhomecookingpc.com so me & others could easily add new recipes/etc. Joomla is a freeware content management system. I went with siteground because they specialize in joomla, and have gazillions of add ons that they do for free. If this will be a personal site, you may find value-add in using something like joomla because it allows you to focus on adding content, and not on building the HTML pages.

For myhometheaterpc.com and about 7 other domains, joomla was less important, and a lower overall cost was. Hence, I went with webhero.com as they offer a hosting club which reduces the overall cost while still allowing some higher end features.

I use godaddy for registration, and successfulhosting for ..er..um.. hosting :)

both been keeping me happy for 5+ years or so . .

sucessfulhosting has both windows and unix (FreeBSD) plans .. think I paid $6 a month for 2 years.

Pete C

Like Rocco I went with Network Solutions about 10 years ago as they were about the only game in town then. For hosting, I went with Omnis about the same time and I'm still with them, excellent service from both. I have also used GoDaddy recently for a few lately. Their service seems fine, but personally I don't care for their overly-busy admin interface.

Terry

I have used no-ip.com for both a free domain (some flexibility in choice) and their dynamic IP service.

I then use MainLobby Server webserver to host my home's webpages.

For the registration, I've used GoDaddy for years. While Network Solutions used to be the only choice, they have show some shady business practices over the years and tend to be more expensive.

As stated by others, I'd seperate DNS from the hosting and registration. I used to use Dyndns for DNS, however since then Electron turned me on to zoneedit. They rock and are free for the first few domains - even dynamic with your own registered domain.

For hosting, when possible, I'd not do it on my home machines. I've been using AddAction for quite a while and am reasonable happy with the price/performance/features of the *nix based shared solutions.

For first timers it is a bit confusing. The key is the order.

- Register domain
- Set up DNS hosting
- At the domain registrar, tell them who hosts the DNS
- At the DNS hosting, point to your web hosting company (or home IP)
- Set up the web page
- Let us know if you get stuck, with the details.

I think I'm stuck. This is what I did.

1. I went to godaddy and registered my domains (ourbawdenhome.com, christinaandjosh.com) and I didn't have them host my DNS.

2. I went to zoneedit and setup two zones for my two domains and they gave me two name servers ns8&9.zoneedit.com.

3. I went to godaddy and updated the name servers to be ns8&9.zoneedit.com

4. I signed up with webhero to host my christinaandjosh.com website.

5. This is where I get lost. I asked webhero what information I needed to give to my dns hosting company to get to let them know WH is hosting my pages, I was thinking they would give me an IP address but they gave me 3 name servers.

ns1,2,&3.catalog.com

So what do I do next?

CalypsoCowboy said:
I think I'm stuck. This is what I did.

1. I went to godaddy and registered my domains (ourbawdenhome.com, christinaandjosh.com) and I didn't have them host my DNS.

2. I went to zoneedit and setup two zones for my two domains and they gave me two name servers ns8&9.zoneedit.com.

3. I went to godaddy and updated the name servers to be ns8&9.zoneedit.com

4. I signed up with webhero to host my christinaandjosh.com website.

5. This is where I get lost. I asked webhero what information I needed to give to my dns hosting company to get to let them know WH is hosting my pages, I was thinking they would give me an IP address but they gave me 3 name servers.

ns1,2,&3.catalog.com

So what do I do next?
They need to give you an IP address (probably shared, but doesn't matter), so you can update the ZoneEdit records.

What is the benefit of ZoneEdit? All my domains simply point to my hosts name servers. If I ever switch hosts, I just change the nameservers in GoDaddy.

Back