Setting up the new 1-wire counter TAI8586

zace66

I have just received my TAI8586 and am trying to connect it to the rain gauge i was give, as per the upgrade PDF from AAG.

However I get no joy. I realise this is a newer board... there is a jumper on it for a start, and it is the 8586, not the 8585.

My 1-wire s/w recognises the counter as it calls it the DS2423.
Yes when I click on the details - nothing.

Even shorting across the yellow wires to increse the counter - nothing. The battery is fine.

Any help really appreciated.
Thanks

You're not the only one! I recently replaced a rain-damaged TAI8585 with not one but two TAI8586 units (one the reed switch version, the other the rain gauge "kit"), neither of which worked. Like you I noticed that the design had changed. I tried contacting AAG by email but they don't reply so like you I tried a forum post (weather-watch) but no-one else could help except to suggest that I buy a Hobby-Boards counter which I've done (I'm waiting for it now). My experience with Hobby Boards is 100% better than AAG so I'm confident it will work or if not that I'll get the backup. I've recently heard from another guy with the same problems both with the unit and lack of support from AAG
Tony

zace66 said:
I have just received my TAI8586 and am trying to connect it to the rain gauge i was give, as per the upgrade PDF from AAG.

However I get no joy. I realise this is a newer board... there is a jumper on it for a start, and it is the 8586, not the 8585.

My 1-wire s/w recognises the counter as it calls it the DS2423.
Yes when I click on the details - nothing.

Even shorting across the yellow wires to increse the counter - nothing. The battery is fine.

Any help really appreciated.
Thanks
I can't really provide any assistance with that unit because I'm not familiar with it's operation. You would need to contact AAG for support on that unit.

Like Tony said this is not the first report I have heard of a problem with the TAI8586 so they may have a bad batch.

Eric

I just got mine from H-B too - yay

Is there anywhere a diagram on how I am supposed to set this up please?

(Also got the hum/temp/solar device and would like advice on setting that up too please)

I am unable to get the counter to return counts (using the OWFS) - I can read and write memory pages, but attempts to access the counts give me data errors. This is the Hobby-boards dual counter module.

I am unable to get the counter to return counts (using the OWFS) - I can read and write memory pages, but attempts to access the counts give me data errors. This is the Hobby-boards dual counter module.

Problem solved - there was a bug in the OWFS code for the counter - I installed the latest version and the counters now work again.

Back