• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Shorting a one-wire bus?

wyleu

I'm looking to put together a python based one-wire application functioning on both linux and windows at the very least.
Since i'm starting from the lowest of the low I am keen to know quite how the various one-wire interfaces (RS-232, USB) behave when all the bus wires are shorted or immersed in water. Can I generate a software exception from suh an event and does the system fail safely? I've has a telescope blow up a PC serial port in the past throu' such a siuation so am keen to do all the damage at the thought design stage.

ericvic

The 1-Wire adaptors are made to deal with shorted 1-Wire network and will work fine once the short is removed. The only time I have heard of the adaptor taking out the serial port is when a lightning surge hit the adaptor.

There is a way in software to determine if the network is shorted, you can find more information about it in the data sheet

Eric

ericvic

Sorry I didn't look at that one before I linked it. Looks like it has been changed reciently. Take a look page 7 in the data sheet for the DS2480B (which is the chip inside the DS9097U Serial Adaptor).

Eric