simple speed test of lan

JimS

Have a new fiber connection between house and garage and wanting to do a speed test. Doesn't involve internet at all. Thought I would use filezilla but seeing a fairly wide range of speeds. About 3 seconds for a 25 MB file which I think is roughly 75 Mb speed. Some of my other switches are 100M so that sounds reasonable and quite enough for my use. Actual fiber link is Gb. For best results I suppose I should use PCs on each end with SSD. Any other suggestions how to simply do this? Most of my PCs that are portable for this run windows but I do have some linux boxes I could use if needed.

Bottleneck will be the speed of the network card. Two connected Gb devices will show over 110 Mbs. Two interconnected Mb devices will show a bit over 10 Mbs. I use Linux command line to test. You will get close to line speed but never perfect line speed. Where I see the speed is transferring large files from PC to the NAS. Large is over 10Gb movies mostly. Streaming 4K from the NAS. Internet bottleneck speeds will always be the service you pay for.

So to test your fiber connection just connect two PCs with Gb ports to each other via the Fiber link and transfer some files in either Windows or Linux.

Last edited:
Two interconnected Mb devices will show a bit over 10 Mbs.
Did you mean to say "Two interconnected 100 Mb devices will show a bit over 10 Mbs"?

Or are you comparing MB to Mb (bytes to bits)? I realize I won't get full speed but a test to the net from there only shows about 6 MB and I get much better from the house so wanting to test the network link through the fiber.

So:

Fast Ethernet: 100 Megabits per second (Mbps) will transfer a bit over 10 MBs (Megabyte)

A megabit is a unit of measurement for data size, most often used in discussions of data transfer. Megabits are expressed as Mb or Mbit when talking about digital storage, or Mbps (megabits per second) in the context of data transfer rates. All of these abbreviations are expressed with a lowercase 'b.'

It takes eight megabits to make a megabyte (abbreviated as MB). Megabits and megabytes sound similar and their abbreviations use the same letters but they don't mean the same thing. It's important to distinguish between the two when you're calculating things like the speed of your internet connection and the size of a file or hard drive.

The closer you are to line speed the better the connection internal to your LAN. Different when testing to the Internet where you pay for a tier of service and typically it is asymmetrical (down is fastest where a up is slowest). 6 Mbps is slow downloading from your provider. What speed tier do you pay for? Base reasonably priced packages are usually around 100 Mbps these days downloading speeds; then go up in tiers to Gb.

The internet testing on the other side of the fiber will be the same as your internal LAN to the Internet.

Ok. I thought you meant something like that but you used lower case b for both speeds in your first statement.

Haven't had 6Mbps for about 6 months. Don't think I mentioned anything about that speed in this thread. I currently have Starlink. $110/month. But Spectrum has put cable to my property and having them to the run to the house Friday. So if anyone is interested I will have a starlink for sale soon.

Wow, Spectrum tries to sell you more, faster connections whenever they have the chance to talk to you.

Checked the speed with Filezilla and a 500 MB file. Wired connection and fiber is working fine. Wireless in the shop is the issue. It's an old router so will swap it out.

Checked the speed with Filezilla and a 500 MB file. Wired connection and fiber is working fine. Wireless in the shop is the issue. It's an old router so will swap it out.

Good news Jim!!!

Check out getting a reasonably priced managed L2-L3 switch which lets you do routing and VLANs. And installing a Ruckus WAP (Gb) in the shop.

Spectrum lets you use your own modem. That said you can get rid of the monthly fees buying a modem and using PFSense.

Signal diagnostics can be done outside for your Spectrum connection. Taking that coaxial indoors to the modem is easy. I have the coax here running to a Leviton Media panel with an Arris Modem in it. Stand outside with the tech when Spectrum is checking your coaxial cable as they or other ISPs will blame issues on your stuff. You do not have to be technical to look at your UP / Down channels on your modem.

I did this to upgrade to Gb. First new line installed was cut when it was buried then I had them install the line all over again and then tested it before it went in to my home for Gb. I did switch to an Arris 8200 (gb) and was not happy with it so probably going to a Motorola Docsis 3.1 modem.

Spectrum Internet: Can I Use My Own Modem?
By
Ken Cameron July 7, 2022
If you have a working modem that can be used for internet service, you might want to know if you can use your own modem with Spectrum Internet. Saving money is always a good thing, but there may be other benefits to using my own modem. Since we don’t always get the best modem with our Spectrum Internet service, being able to use a higher-end modem can help to maximize our Spectrum internet speeds.

I have collection here of Motorola / Arris modems. PM me.

Spectrum ==> Arris Modem (Docsis 3.0 or 3.1) ==> PFSense Firewall ==>
==> L2-L3 switch
==> Ruckus WAPs

All owned by you and managed by you.

Here and there have used my own equipment a la carte for Internet cable or fiber. For cable internet used to use Motorola modems and recently have switched to Arris Modems (Gb Docis 3.1) For fiber left their box in place for STBs on one network then bridged one interface for Internet access via my equipment.

For me personally best WiFi WAPs have been Ruckus. Ruckus is now owned by Commscope. Carlyle group (check them out) purchased Commscope. Commscope purchased Arris.

All of the ISP's try to sell you on faster speed tiers et al as most folks these days are streaming and not watching regular cable TV. Well that too today is now IP anyhow.

Here have used Comcast since the beginning. I have a grandfathered account with no contract. Same with DTV although not happy with AT&T did with DTV. For a period of time also used DiSH. Built a combo multiple LNB (4-6) antenna many many years ago. Went to Verizon FIOS (from Verizon DSL) in FL a few years back then they sold the accounts to Frontier. Frontier slammed my Verizon account and I took them to court had them fix it then cancelled and went back to XFinity. What a bunch of A holes that they were.

Last edited:
Thanks Pete. They don't charge for the modem these days so I'm just going to do that. Will use my own router for wifi behind the pfsense box.

Might try to fix the router. There are a bunch of places that mention a capacitor that fails in this model and can be replaced. Think I may have done that once already though...

Asus RT-N16. I opened the case and confirmed that I replaced the cap that many others report replacing some years ago. Maybe it went out again. Would be easy enough to replace them all.

Asus RT-N16. I opened the case and confirmed that I replaced the cap that many others report replacing some years ago. Maybe it went out again. Would be easy enough to replace them all.

Once fixed give OpenWRT a go on it...

I have been running ddwrt almost since I got it. It works ok so no real reason to switch - too many rabbit holes of this kind of stuff to do everything... :)

I am not sure that DDWRT is supported any more. I used to use it all of the time. OpenWRT is supported.

DD-WRT in recent years hasn't been that impressive and haven't seen a reason to use it. Plus DD-WRT firmware updates are like 6x the size of OpenWRT firmware. Switch to PFSense, grab an L2 switch, and a decent AP and call it a day.

Back