simply automated switches with led ceiling fans - flickering lights?

coope08

Dear All,

Hoping you can point me in the right direction.  My builder installed a bunch of Simply Automated UPB switches for us during construction (we had it in our contract we were using home automated switches but we were still deciding between z-wave and UPB) and we have had nothing but problems with them.  I'm assuming its because he had never installed them before.  Anyways, the latest is that all our lights flicker now after about 15 minutes of use.  So we have ceiling fans in all rooms and those fans are on two switches.  A non-UPB switch controls the fan and a UBP switch controls the LED light.  The model of fan is the Zonix LED by fanimation.  So you turn the light on and about 15 minutes later it flickers continuously.  Sometimes it even goes completely off then turns back on after a minute.  I am seriously worried that this could be a fire hazard.  The builder is blaming the UPB switches and I really don't know if it is the switches, the wiring, or the fans themselves.  Has anyone else ran into an issue using UPB switches on an LED ceiling fan light?  I'm using SA US-11-40  model of switch for these.

On a side note, the builder refused to install or provide the remote controls to the fans as he said that they would interfere with the UPB signal.  This did not make sense to me either....

Thanks!

Check if the UPB switches are set for dimming or non-dimming mode.  Possibly the LED's are not compatible with the dimming mode.

Which Simply Automated switches do you have?  I have used many on LED and CFL with pretty good luck.  Unfortunately is doesn't look like you can change your LED bulb.  One possible solution is to add a Simply Automated UPB filter between the light and switch.  Sounds weird, but the UPB signals themselves can actually cause flickering on lights.  You probably can install the filter in the fan or box.  I would just try one to see if it works for you before doing them all.

Thanks Everyone.  I do have the lights set to dim.  I will try changing that to see if it stops the flickering.  Otherwise I will try the filter.  I have the US11-40 switches on the fans.  I have 2-40s elsewhere in the house but none are on the fans.  The fans are controlled by a single switch (no 2-ways in these cases) so I thought this would be straight forward.  Thanks again.

Looks like those lights have an internal dimmer operated by the RF remote.
The electronics inside probably won't respond well to external dimming.

I don't believe the RF dimmer/speed control would interfere with the UPB switches unless dimming/slowing the fan produces too much noise on the line (which can be filtered).

Did the installer follow the installation instructions that came with the fan?

By default the lamp is controlled by the receiver that comes with the fan.

Yup.   Set the UPB switches for snap! on/off only or bypass the dimmer in your fan to allow your UPB switch to control fan lighting (I did this).  My Casablanca fan uses a powerline protocol to handle the fan and it works just fine with UPB and Insteon signalling. I see no reason why your's won't work as well.

Back