Size conduit for HDMI connectors?

JimS

I have used 3/4" PVC conduit in a number of places to allow for future upgrades and additions. Used larger in places where I knew there would be a large number of runs like from the wiring closet to the attic - used 2 - 2" there - one for high voltage and one for low voltage. This has been a life saver several times.

I am adding (another) conduit to my television area and was going to use 3/4 but want to be able to pass HDMI cable with connectors in the future if needed. Is 1" large enough for this? I don't have any of the connectors handy to check the size.

It really depends on the brand and style of cable you go with as the ends are different sizes. I think you will be good with 1" but you may only be able to get one in when the pipe is empty.

Here is a link:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepar...amp;cp_id=10240

Check out the cables you think you will need. Under the specs there is a "Head dimensions" which gives you the size in mm

Don't forget the ferrite bead at the ends. They are typically bigger than the connector itself.

Didn't think of the cores. Interesting that only the shorter run cables have these. If I use this it will be close to 50 ft so guess I don't have to worry about cores. The conduit is only for a short distance on one end so if I have to take out the other cables that won't be too bad.

Wife just called to see if I needed anything at the hardware store so I don't even have to pick up the conduit! Great that she likes hardware stores. ;)

Back