Smoke/Heat/Fire with existing wired smoke detectors

iprowell

We had to have conventional wired smoke and CO2 sensors that are not tied to our alarm system based on local requirements. I have two/three objectives; add some smoke/heat sensors near the battery backup system we have, and to monitor our smoke/co2 detectors and fire sprinklers with our alarm system.

I think I can install a 2 or 4 wire smore or heat detector in the basement by the batteries that are connected to our Elk alarm without too much trouble. Are there any things to look out for here?

On the existing smoke/co2, it is a 110 wired system. There is a relay to activate the smoke detectors if the flow valve is activated by the fire sprinklers. What can I do to reasonably integrate this into our alarm system? I am considering a current sensor on the fire bell that is activated by the flow valve. I think I could install another relay to provide a low voltage signal on activation of the smoke/co2 sensors? What have others done here? Will this cause problems with the "compliance" of the system?

Thanks in advance!

iprowell said:
We had to have conventional wired smoke and CO2 sensors that are not tied to our alarm system based on local requirements. I have two/three objectives; add some smoke/heat sensors near the battery backup system we have, and to monitor our smoke/co2 detectors and fire sprinklers with our alarm system.

I think I can install a 2 or 4 wire smore or heat detector in the basement by the batteries that are connected to our Elk alarm without too much trouble. Are there any things to look out for here?

On the existing smoke/co2, it is a 110 wired system. There is a relay to activate the smoke detectors if the flow valve is activated by the fire sprinklers. What can I do to reasonably integrate this into our alarm system? I am considering a current sensor on the fire bell that is activated by the flow valve. I think I could install another relay to provide a low voltage signal on activation of the smoke/co2 sensors? What have others done here? Will this cause problems with the "compliance" of the system?

Thanks in advance!
There are lots of issues here, but its best to leave your 120v alone and add any alarm panel smoke and heat sensors as needed. The only exception is the sprinkler system. On mine, I added a relay so it triggers the bell, but also triggers the low voltage alarm.  There are exceptions, but generally, 120V required systems are ionization types which are meant to be very sensitive so burning the toast my trigger them. The panel smoke detectors are photo-electric so more immune to false alarms if the fire trucks are to be called.  So its best not to mix.  Smoke and heat alarms are cheap enough where you are not going to save much.  Also, the wiring of smoke alarms on a panel are monitored, the 120v wiring is not. So leave that 120v mandated system alone.

Back