So close to being client-less

IVB

I'm *this* close to being client-less, and using Sage HDExtenders for everything.

I just put in an extender in the H/T media closet. Of course, the second it was done, the wife decided she wanted to watch a netflix DVD that we had so we had to resort back to the HTPC to play that back. So, today I went & got a Marantz DV6001 DVD player with RS232. It was on clearance @Magnolia for $170 so it seemed like a decent deal. I wanted 2way for superior logic-coding ability, but given how rarely we watch physical DVDs I wasn't going to spend much on it.

The hardest part has been figuring out how to use a hardbutton remote control for everything. I'm sure the pros have this figured out as they do it 100 times, but this is the first time i've had to think through this. I've been crutching on the Bluetooth mouse for the mentally difficult stuff. Although I have an MX850 with multi-page support, I didn't want to use more than 1 page as the wife & 6 yr old kid will get baffled and call me, which defeats the point.

Here's what I came up with. I used line #s on the picture, i'll explain those below.

MX850-new.JPG

The system is wired such that the 3 component video & audio streams run to the Denon3805, which does the switching.

Line 2/4/5 select which component video stream you want, and sets the Denon to that.

Line 1 is just there for while I run redundant systems, hopefully it's pulled out within 7 days.

Line 3 & 6 are specific to Sage, and either go to the home menu or the recorded shows.

The rest of the buttons rely on CQC to determine what the current device is (as determined by the current source input on the Denon), and only pass it the appropriate command (ie pause/play).

Line 7 is an example of some pretty cool usage of the 2way Sage TCP driver. As you may know, there's 4 different right arrows on the standard SageHDExtender remote, which do:
While on a menu:
- move cursor right
While playing video:
During Video Playback:
- Fast Forward
- Skip Ahead 30 seconds
- Skip Ahead 3 minutes

So the big question is how to simplify that. Too many damn buttons on that Sage remote for me. I decided that
1) we never need to FFW as we are content with skip ahead.
2) I can use the 2 current MX850 buttons (right and next) for the 30 sec/3min/right by first checking to see if the HDExtender is in Play mode. If it is, then the right button must mean skip 30secs. If not, then it must be in browse mode, so move right.

The volume buttons act directly against the Denon, but everything else is analyzed by CQC to determine where it should send what.

I just finished that up an hour or two ago, so i'll sit with this to see how it feels. I already found some holes in the logic that you see as fixed, who knows what else is out there.

Why did you need a stand-alone DVD player? You can play DVDs fine through your HD Extender.

Either rip the DVD (takes my PC less than 10 minutes to rip a full movie), or you can install AnyDVD and just watch it from your DVD player in your PC.

Why did you need a stand-alone DVD player? You can play DVDs fine through your HD Extender.

Either rip the DVD (takes my PC less than 10 minutes to rip a full movie), or you can install AnyDVD and just watch it from your DVD player in your PC.

Two reasons, both keyed around the lack of a desktop within 50 feet/3 rooms of the H/T:

1) The wife gets bugged at the mandatory rip. Plus, she just wants the ability to plop in a Netflix at will without mucking with that stuff.
2) The server is downstairs in the basement and you need to go outside the house, through the crawlspace, so plopping the physical DVD into the server.

I don't want to clutter up your thread with my post but...

bfisher, that's what Wife Acceptance Factor is ALLLLLLLLLLLLL about! If you're married and have kids, you want to make it as easiest and painless as possible for your wife to get around with the entertainment center. ;) In other words, why must you rip the rented movie from Netflix where your wife wanted to play a newly-rented movie from Netflix?

LOL - that's what my sent my WAF through the roof! She absolutely loves having all the movies right there. When a Netflix shipment arrives, it's ripped in minutes. She can find it instantly - no changing inputs, no advertising, no touching a disk, no anything. She hits play and it's playing immediately. No warnings... no previews... no waiting for a menu to come up. It's just as easy to play a movie as it is for her to find her favorite TV show (probably easier because our DVDs are grouped).

She absolutely loves it ;) And when the movie is over, I can delete it from any PC in seconds and it's gone. We have several DVD players that she's asked me "can't we get rid of that" which I happily oblige her on.

BTW - you don't have to rip it from your Sage Server. Many times I'll rip it from my laptop and just copy it over the network to my Sage box. No problems there either.

My wife digs the ripped netflix also; that way our "queue" is on the hard disk, not on the 'net. I don't ever actually use the server to rip, but my C2D laptop takes 45 minutes to rip a DVD, and the den desktop or HTPC desktop take 10.

But there's always that 1x/month "netflix just came and i wanna watch now rather than wait for you to rip". That's where the physical DVD player helps. All our equipment is in the next room, so the RS232 controllable where I can use that same remote and have CQC manage it is priceless.

You don't have any PC with a DVD-ROM close to your TV? I have 2 PC's in my living room, so I just installed AnyDVD on one of them (mine), mapped the drive so the SageTV server in the basement can see it, and now all my wife has to do is pop the disc in my PC, and it shows up on any extender. Can't think of an easier solution, no ripping involved.

If you don't have a PC, I would get one of those slim external DVD readers (I love my LG GSA-E50L), and run it over IP back to the SageTV server.

You can get USB extenders (basically a balun to go from USB to cat5e and back) for about $50 on E-Bay. I use them to extend the wireless receiver for my keyboard from my server to my touchscreen in the kitchen. I would assume it would work with the DVD drive too.

Does sage integrate with netflix or anthing like that where you can just download the whole movie?

No - not yet. There has been much talk about it, but nothing officially announced. The hope/expectation is that the capability will be integrated into Sage, but it's not there yet. The limitation is that netflix requires their proprietary player. However, they (netflix) has announced that they are partnering with set-top companies to open this up, and the hope is that Sage will be one of them.

You don't have any PC with a DVD-ROM close to your TV? I have 2 PC's in my living room, so I just installed AnyDVD on one of them (mine), mapped the drive so the SageTV server in the basement can see it, and now all my wife has to do is pop the disc in my PC, and it shows up on any extender. Can't think of an easier solution, no ripping involved.
Hell no, remember that Holy Power Costs thread :) Well, currently i've got the HTPC, but i'm ditching that given the power costs. I'll now be down to a single desktop in the house, with the 2 servers in the basement through the crawlspace.

Sure, but just as easy is a regular DVD player that's RS232 controllable, and press the "DVD" button on your remote (see my pic above). That switches the Denon input to the DVD player, and you control it just like a regular player with the remote.

If you don't have a PC, I would get one of those slim external DVD readers (I love my LG GSA-E50L), and run it over IP back to the SageTV server.
True, but that's still $100 plus shipping, plus the USB extender or wireless router. My Marantz DV6001 was $160 (on clearance). For the same price, there's zero chance anything could get screwed up techie-wise as it's just a regular old DVD player. No IP issues, cabling, copy protection, making your server do any more than need be, whatever.

Not as technical as a PC DVD player run back to the server, but sometimes simpler is better.

Well I never said it would be cheaper :p In your environment, it won't be, in mine, it is.

Sure, but just as easy is a regular DVD player that's RS232 controllable, and press the "DVD" button on your remote (see my pic above). That switches the Denon input to the DVD player, and you control it just like a regular player with the remote.

IMO the above statement is a total contradiction of the statement below ;)

Not as technical as a PC DVD player run back to the server, but sometimes simpler is better.

I still believe the USB over IP solution is more reliable (and probably will cost less to power as well), but I am not saying your implementation is a bad one. Just offering some other options ;)

I do both, I have a 400 disk changer connected to a PVR500 and use AnyDVD and have all my DVD drives mapped.

So I can choose depending on which I want at the time and long term store with no backup plans and no time ripping, plus I can watch from any client.

Back