Strange numbers and symbols in wc8 gui, partial reboot?

TJF1960

Hello all,

It has been a while. About every 2 weeks all the outputs will shut off on a wc8. When I log into the gui I will see odd numbers or odd symbols in the ttl output bits section of the gui. And often times the 32 bit signed variables are large negative numbers.

I have the wc8 send me 1 email on reboot. I do not get an email until I manually reboot it.

I measured the ps and it seems rock steady at 9v and is a 1amp supply.

Thoughts on what could be causing the problem?

Thanks,
Tim

Oh, also, the gui clock stops updating until manually refreshed then the clock jumps to current time and all the values and symbols will change to some other value or symbol. Really weird. Other than this happening every couple of weeks it has been working fine.

If a network resource (like ISY994) send a command to turn on one of the outputs it will turn on the output for a period of time (5-10 minutes) but then shuts it back off by itself. After manually rebooting it (by killing power to the wc8 for 10 seconds) it works fine for another couple of weeks...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    186.5 KB · Views: 22
When did this problem start, was it exist since the board new?
Do you want to try update board with a different version firmware to see if this problem going away?

In reference to the GUI only.

What version of Java are your running?

As you may know the ISY admin console and many other softwares are very sensitive to Java versions. IMHO this is  one of the reasons people want Java gone. It's flakey, changing the api (apparently)  and unstable. I just downgraded to Java 8 u5 from Java 7 u67. Now they pop up  and tell people it's just a beta version while simultaneously offering upgrades to another v8 beta version.

If you have experienced a Java update recently you could try clearing your java cache out. Their could be some lingering files that aren't completely compatible.

Does the system status page that pops up at the bottom show the same random characters?

CAI_Support,

No. It just started happening about a month ago or so. The board has been in service for maybe 8 months. Not sure what to try at this point.

Larry,

When ever I open the gui everything is normal. Only when the ISY alerts me that the Pogoplug computer shut down and I go into the gui is when I see the wierd numbers and symbols. The pogoplug is controlled by one of the outputs of the wc8 board. After I hard reboot the wc8 the gui and everything else works fine.
I am assuming the only time java is in the picture is when I open the gui, java is not used by the board for normal operation, right?

Thanks,
Tim

Tim,

If you could please update the board to a different version firmware to try first, if that does not fix the problem, you can send board to us, we can check it for you to see if anything gone bad.

also...

You stated the PS was rock solid but did you check the AC component as PS capacitors like to just wear out sometimes and the filtering loses it's ability to smooth the dc.

No. Good point though! I will pull it out of the wiring closet tomorrow and put the scope on it and check it out. It does get warm in there and that doesn't help the caps any.

Thanks.

by the way, I wonder what an acceptable temperature is for the wc boards inside of an enclosure. The internal temp of this one seems to run between 105F to 120F?

My test is if the chips burn you they are too hot! Caps? hmmmmm.... 

Heat is the enemy of all electronics. Tube receivers anybody? :unsure:

CAI_Support said:
Tim,

If you could please update the board to a different version firmware to try first, if that does not fix the problem, you can send board to us, we can check it for you to see if anything gone bad.
Which version would you recommend? I am running 8 normal temp sensor, no humid. Sensors

Thanks,
Tim

I pulled the wc8 and hooked it up on the bench. No noticeable ripple. About 8mV noise which jumped to about 20mV when loading main page on gui. Voltage constant at 9.18v

I added a couple of 1000mfd caps in the box across B+ in, also added a .1mfd across those. Didn't seem to affect the noise level afterwards. Power supply seems rock solid.

Upgraded to V3.02.18b2...all seemed good. Will see in a couple of weeks!

Thanks,
Tim

Hi, thanks for checking. It ran great for a week but I had to remove power to service something else. It will be a couple of weeks before I know.

Tim

The wc8 is still rebooting every couple of weeks. I added code to send an email upon temp sensor fail. I will typically get 4 or 5 emails before the unit reboots. Last night t5 showed failed up until the reboot. But other times it is a different sensor...in other words it not always the same sensor.

Question I am running 18b2 and read another thread about an 18b3 firmware. Does 18b2 reprogram the sensor to 12-bit every reboot or does 18b3? Which firmware should I be using?

Also, to set TDSO, is it kind of hit or miss or is there some form of calculation I can use to determine the best setting?

Thanks
Tum

Back