Temperature

GadgetBoy

Ok, I'll bite :D

I have Homeseer 1.7 (purchased upgrade but waiting for kinks to be worked out).

I want to monitor the temperature around the house using the 18S20's with the ability to add more stuff as I go along (maybe a weather station for the roof). I will probably make some outdoor enclosures for the 18S20's to monitor outside temperature.

I want to be able to run this all through homeseer as well. I think I have a serial connection available on the back of my PC. I would use the PC, but I had problems with my PC connecting to my Ocelot via USB to Serial cable.

I want to use an HS script, rather than a plug in, which means I am looking for hardware that has a simple ASCII serial interface. I believe that the Maxim 1wire interfaces are too timing critical and complicated for easy/reliable scripting. Has anybody tried? I am planning on getting the #129 kit from www.phanderson.com. It supports two 1wire runs (networks) with all the devices I need (for now).

I don't use Homeseer anymore so I have not tried this solution but to interface with Homeseer you can use the MCSTemperature plug-in.

To connect your PC to the 1-Wire network you can use either serial or USB. Also, as you probably already know, you can start off small and add more sensors to your network using the same serial or USB adaptor.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Eric

WayneW said:
I want to use an HS script, rather than a plug in, which means I am looking for hardware that has a simple ASCII serial interface. I believe that the Maxim 1wire interfaces are too timing critical and complicated for easy/reliable scripting.
Wayne,

For a simple ASCII interface to the 1-Wire network you can use The Link from www.ibuttonlink.com. I don't carry that device yet and haven't tried it but I have heard good things about it.

Eric

You can also look at the TEMP08 from www.midondesign.com. A lot of people are using TEMP05s or TEMP08s with HomeSeer. They can be interfaced with scripts or plugins. I've had a TEMP05 for years and it's worked well. I was going to build my own similar interface, but other projects kept getting in the way.

I've never used the 1-wire stuff from www.phanderson.com but I've dealt with him for other stuff and been happy.

I think I just saw the M Mcsharry also now has a Xap 1 wire plugin for HS. It might also be standalone. I saw the post on HS forum.

Back