The old days

Joe W

After the CP290 1-way interface, I bought the TW523 from Harper-Baran, this HA guy in Cananda. He had a software product called HC2000. (I think I still have the original diskette somewhere.) Anyhow, I used that combo for well over two years. He eventually stopped supporting it. I think the programmer he had contracte with graduated from school and got a real job.

Interestingly enough, it had a TW523 driver. I heard that the TW523 is very difficult to program for, especially in Windows.

Anyone ever use it?

OOPS, I mis-posted this in the Home Security Software section, I thought I was in the HA Software section. Can the moderator please move this to that section please?

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I never got the chance to get into home automation back in the old days, but I can only imagine how difficult things were back then, it's pretty impressive to see how long X10 has been around, and so far no other protocol has taken its place.

WayneW

I remember Baran-Harper Group and did some business with them years ago. I remember their TW-523 drivers, but as I recall this was in the DOS days before Windows.

Anybody remember the PLIX chip from Circuit Cellar magazine & Micromint around 1992? It was an "intelligent communications interface" that converted RS-232 serial to the TW-523 timing requirements. I built the kit & played with one, but never used it extensively.

Joe W

Ed Cheung was a frequent contributer to the Comuserve Automation message board. He was a NASA engineer, I think. He used some of that stuff from the Circuit Celler days. He also was active on the HA newsgroup. He build a hum-less ceiling fan controller for x10.

He still has a web site but I can't find it. It would be interesting to see what he's done lately.

Update: checked the home automation index and found his site. http://www.edcheung.com/