• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Touchscreen solution options

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyBMC

Hi, guys, this is a great forum, I am glad I found it... My area of interest is Digital Home as such, but I am coming more from the Home Theater/HTPC side and am trying to bring me up to speed on the Home Automation front - this forum seems to be a great knowledgebase...

BACKGROUND
While architecting my Home Theater setup around HTPC/Media Player/Media Server based on Windows MCE software I am coming to a configuration when I would have
- a central Media Server in the wiring closet running 24/7 and
- have a Media Player or Media Extender (Linksys) connect to the TV accessing content on Media Server
- Home Office PC for internet movie/music downloads, home video/photos uploading from the camera and storing on the Media Server working as a Network Storage.
I described a bit more about this setup in my blog under: http://www.buildmediacenter.com/html/dh02.html

OPTIONS
Part of what I am struggling is to understand what options do I have to introduce a Touchscreen control for this setup:
A. I was initially thinking about hard mounted on the wall touchscreen, connected via VGA and USB (for touchsensor) to the Media Server in the wiring closet.
B. I also read in this forum about options to extend the distance from this touchscreen to the Media center through the KLM extender, still as a hard mounted option.
C. Than I read that a TablePC for $200 is another solution and supposedly most universal.
D. Touchscreen control from Philips or similar.

QUESTIONS
1. Is my understanding correct or there are other options?

2. I understand how A and B options can work - I originally thought to use MCE software and use the touchscreen for music selection. I also learned that I can use a stand alone or MCE integrated software like MusicLobby to control the music playback from the touchscreen (I don't think turning on TV to select music with a remote makes sense... ).
2.a I am struggling to see how options C and D work and what BENEFITS will they give me...
2.b Basically what kind of product could I use for Touchscreen in C and D
2.c What software would I use on the TabletPC and on the server and rough cost of that software...
2.d I am a bit concerned on the fact, that I would need to buy a home automation package for option C and D and will not be as flexible as with MCE and it's hundreds of free plugins, etc... So I am interested to know if people are happyly using option C (TabletPC) or D (Touchscreen remote control)...

Thanks,

Andy

ellisr63

I am running Fujitsu 3400 tablets on CQC software for controlling my Audio/Video system and I love it. Here is a link to my screenshots..http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1722

Status
Not open for further replies.