• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

TR-16 acting strange. Please help.

mishab

I need help. I feel that something is wrong with my tr-16 and its getting colder outside and i want this fix before its too late.

here is what is going on - i do not know what to think, but i am getting bad feelings about this. i worry about safety, so i need cocoon members to advise on what to do next.

Many of you repled to my previous threads regarding TR-16 integration with Elk. I finally got everything to work. The bench test went just fine. The fan and heat works fine.

I connected the tr-16 to elk. after few module enrollment tries the tr-16 came alive and i was able to control it from the elk's remote programming software.

the problem is that the tr-16 turns on on its own. for a second day in a row i walk home with heater blowing heat and the "setpoint" set to 70F.

I checked the logs and there was no task activated on the elk side.

yesterday I set the setpont to be at 45F before leaving home. when i got home the setpoint was set to 70F and the heater was on. I thought maybe elk was messing up so i disconnected elk.

here is what i did after i disconnected elk:
- checked the thermostat reading: 65F
- change setpoint to be 45F. The mode was set to "H". I wrote it down. I swear.
- early morning [6 am] the heater had turned on. i ran to the thermostat. it said 64F. i checked the setpoint and it was 70F.

I swear i did not set it to 70F before I went to bed. The setpoint was set to 45F.

I tuned the heater off before going to work as i am afraid that its blowing heat all day while i am at work.

One thing that i thought off that maybe the tr-16 is a returned item and someone previously used the scheduler to set these values? i do not have the rs-323 to rs-485 converter handy so i cant check the schedule. is there a way to clear the thermostat?

can someone help me troubleshoot this?

- misha

Smarty

Not much I can help with other than to echo some comments made to me by the RCS folks (a good while back).

The "thing hanging on the wall" is really just a wall display unit (WDU). The "brains" are in the circuit board. Either the large or small WDU's can be used with the circuit board. To access schedules and a lot of the other features that the circuit board has, you either need the larger display WDU or a serial connection.

If this were me, I would consider seeing if RCS would exchange (for an upcharge) the small WDU for the larger WDU.