Tried CQC, Elve...what is next?

felixrosbergen

I started with HA about 6 or 7 years ago.  I used CQC, then Dean hang it up for a while.

I switched to Elve...got some automation going, had kids and have been using it but not developing functions for the last few years.

I'm replacing my home server (server hardware on 7 years now and parts are starting to fail, PSU, fans, hard drives) and was looking at moving Elve only to find out John Hughes has stopped work on it as well.

So what should I look into now?  Seems Elve is free now, but i'm looking for something that is actively supported/developed with a large user base.....if such a thing exist in Home Automation.

MavRic said:
I started with HA about 6 or 7 years ago.  I used CQC, then Dean hang it up for a while.

I switched to Elve...got some automation going, had kids and have been using it but not developing functions for the last few years.

I'm replacing my home server (server hardware on 7 years now and parts are starting to fail, PSU, fans, hard drives) and was looking at moving Elve only to find out John Hughes has stopped work on it as well.

So what should I look into now?  Seems Elve is free now, but i'm looking for something that is actively supported/developed with a large user base.....if such a thing exist in Home Automation.
I think the question everyone would have before they could help you with this is WHAT are you looking for? Do you have an ELK or HAI/Leviton panel you are trying to supplement? If so, what functions do you need that they don't provide? Do you just want to control everything from your phone? Do you want VR? What technologies for lighting and locks are you using?  Unless you give more info, its impossible to even suggest something.

My current setup is:
- Lighting  OnQ ALC and UPB
- ELK M1
- Aprilaire 8870 for Thermostats
- Rain8 for irrigation
- Nuvo for whole house audio

ELK cannot interact with all of this, or at least not sufficiently easy.  So I used CQC initially, then switched to Elve for the user interface and rules based automation.

VR?  Voice Recognition...not needed.

Good iPhone App is a must, it's the only way we interact with Elve currently.

ano said:
I think the question everyone would have before they could help you with this is WHAT are you looking for? Do you have an ELK or HAI/Leviton panel you are trying to supplement? If so, what functions do you need that they don't provide? Do you just want to control everything from your phone? Do you want VR? What technologies for lighting and locks are you using?  Unless you give more info, its impossible to even suggest something.

vtYnOHD.gif

OK, maybe I played a lot of soccer *and* gathered a lot of animated gifs while I was away...

MavRic said:
My current setup is:
- Lighting  OnQ ALC and UPB
- ELK M1
- Aprilaire 8870 for Thermostats
- Rain8 for irrigation
- Nuvo for whole house audio

We have V2 compatible drivers for the Elk, the 8870 and the Nuvo, so you could auto-generate nice touch screens for all of that stuff. If the lighting is going through the Elk, then it would al come along for the ride.

Back