trouble getting uplink 4500ez to dial out

newalarm

So i have been on phone with CS trying to set up the Uplink 4500ez panel to dial out on M1g Elk.

CS is able to ping the 4500. 4500 has slow blink on both the service and network LEDs. Com LED occasionally flashes.

Got the 4500 connected through serial expander XSP, that is connected into my DBH. 4500 is connected to P212S, shared with other devices.

All dipswitches on 4500 are set to off.

Primary is telephone line. Cellular is backup.

When it goes into alarm, i noticed that i get an error message on P212S.

Any ideas?

Just because they can ping the unit doesn't mean it's configured properly, only that it's on the data network.....they need to verify the unit is properly configured on their end for the serial data as well as what data is pass thru on the serial side, not to mention how the data from Uplink is ported to their receiver...there's a bunch that needs to be checked on the dealer side, since most do not configure Uplink units as serial data transmitters.

That is assuming that all is configured properly on the Elk and XSP and the connector is correct.

What sort of error are you getting off the 212S? Remember, the Uplink is 500mA, but if it's anything like the 2500's, that surges briefly upon initial transmission, albeit we're talking miliseconds. You could be pushing the 212 overcurrent briefly, depending on the other loads on it.

Ok, I just found updated info from ELK. They made some changes to the XSP installation manual. So I need to go through that first to make sure I am good.

The technician i was working with was not too familiar with elk/4500 and had not done it before.

I did find one error on my end. I had forgotten to do firmware upgrade to Uplink/AES. Update is now complete. I have a service call tomorrow to finish up.

The dip switches on the 4500 are all set to off. Does this seem right?

One thing that is weird though, When we were setting up backup number, it allowed me to select type: 1 for backup. Now it is not allowing me to do the backup number. Am I missing something?

For the backup/primary you would need to change it back to a primary format, make changes, then return to backup.

As far as the account number, that varies depending on how the data is ported from Uplink to the CS....if it's an IP port or if they take the data as an emulation from Uplink. I can't comment as to what form your CS is taking. You do not need to put an account number for the CS on the backup per se. On the uplinks that is all resident on their setup.

From the last time I had to troubleshoot one with Brad and Amy, I believe that once you dump the firmware into the XSP, there's no way to tell if it's actually communicating with the Uplink, but if you wanted to rule out a bad XSP you could connect to it using telnet and watch to see if strings come out.

Documentation looks about the same before they put the blurb about the 4500 in.

Actually, I did not realize, but there are multiple installation instructions out there, including the one that came with the XSP. Guess from now on, i will always go online to get the latest.

I was working off a similar document to this one (but it used to have a blurb on 2500 that i guess is discontinued now):
http://www.elkproducts.com/product-catalog/elk-m1xsp-lighting-and-thermostat-interface-serial-port-expander

And I found this one yesterday. This one is fresh off the press dated 7/1/13:
http://www.elkproducts.com/m1_downloads.html

I had set it up, and forgot to do the last step...

Alright. We are all set up. Thanks.

It was a little confusing how RP grays out everything when you use cellular as backup. Not sure why they do that.

Back