Trying to get HAI HiFi-2 Working! Almost there?

IAMALWAYSWRITE

Hello and thanks very much in advance for reading my (first!) post.

I have a fairly complete HiFi-2 system (8 source panel, sub 8 source panel, 16 VSCs and 8 RIMs) and after many years of not having enough time to install it due to other life priorities, I finally have the time to install and finish this system. Everything was in their original boxes for ~10 years (!), until these past few weeks. I also have the Omni IIe (which is working) and tons of other HAI equipment that I hope to eventually integrate. Please don't judge me on how long this has taken - normally this is not my usual style. I guess better late than never...

I am SLOWLY progressing. All home speakers are installed, all original CAT 5e runs made with all connectors (and tested), and I am seeing light at the of the tunnel.

The amps power on ok with green LEDs. I can turn zones on or off using the VSC power button or by sending a remote command to do so. (Although on each zone on the sub panel, I get both a red and green LED when I turn the Zone on - not sure what the red LED means....)

I managed to get the HiFi2 Setup Utility running on a PC and connected to the two HiFi-2 amps ok. I am able to send remote commands to the units including turning Zones on and off. Although the Tools menu is greyed out for some reason.

The biggest challenge I am stuck at is that I can not get any of the 16 VSCs to turn on their displays. They remain in a blank (nothing displayed) state no matter what I do. I feel like I am missing something basic. I called Leviton support, but they weren't much help. Any thoughts or suggestions? 

Thanks in advance. My personal email address is (email deleted by BSR to protect member from spam bots) if you want to communicate directly.

Cheers.

I don't know details about the HiFi system (other than I did see it at a CES show in Las Vegas many years ago) 

I would get the system to its most basic level.  Can you disconnect all VSC's then bring one near the main panel and connect it with a short cable, then try it?

You should also consider deleting your email from your first post to protect you against spamming from bots. If you need help, let me know.

Welcome to Cocoontech!

BSR

I edited your post to hide your email address.

I noticed in the VSC instructions that the CAT5 cable must be terminated in a 568A configuration.  I know you said you tested the cable...but are you sure it is NOT in a 568B configuration?  Not sure this would make a difference...just referencing the manual.

Are you sure the brightness is at the maximum setting (press the + key five times)?

You have 16 VSC's which is right at the limit of the number allowed.  When you tested just one with a short CAT 5 cable, were all the others disconnected?  With that many devices I'm wondering if there is a power issue.

IAMALWAYSWRITE said:
Hello and thanks very much in advance for reading my (first!) post.

I have a fairly complete HiFi-2 system (8 source panel, sub 8 source panel, 16 VSCs and 8 RIMs) and after many years of not having enough time to install it due to other life priorities, I finally have the time to install and finish this system. Everything was in their original boxes for ~10 years (!), until these past few weeks. I also have the Omni IIe (which is working) and tons of other HAI equipment that I hope to eventually integrate. Please don't judge me on how long this has taken - normally this is not my usual style. I guess better late than never...

I am SLOWLY progressing. All home speakers are installed, all original CAT 5e runs made with all connectors (and tested), and I am seeing light at the of the tunnel.

The amps power on ok with green LEDs. I can turn zones on or off using the VSC power button or by sending a remote command to do so. (Although on each zone on the sub panel, I get both a red and green LED when I turn the Zone on - not sure what the red LED means....)

I managed to get the HiFi2 Setup Utility running on a PC and connected to the two HiFi-2 amps ok. I am able to send remote commands to the units including turning Zones on and off. Although the Tools menu is greyed out for some reason.

The biggest challenge I am stuck at is that I can not get any of the 16 VSCs to turn on their displays. They remain in a blank (nothing displayed) state no matter what I do. I feel like I am missing something basic. I called Leviton support, but they weren't much help. Any thoughts or suggestions? 

Thanks in advance. My personal email address is (email deleted by BSR to protect member from spam bots) if you want to communicate directly.

Cheers.

change port to other than default 23

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. Yes, I saw that in the instructions and had created T-568A terminated wiring in case it made any difference. My test cable is T-568A, and just to be sure I created another one this morning. Still no difference, using A or B cables. I also tried the plus sign many times. Although eventually I will use 16 VSCs, I have been only initially testing with 1-3 zones.   The VSCs remain unresponsive although I can seemingly change individual settings for each zone and group using the software. Changing the port to one other than 23 doesn't work - it seems to need 23 to communicate with the software.   Since all VSCs don' work, I am leaning on the likely problem being the main amp panel. It is unfortunate since I had not used it or the sub-panel before now. I guess I will have to send them to Leviton, along with a few VSCs for testing and possible repair. I have read that these panels have tended to be unreliable and that installers hated them.   Thanks to all that took the time to review my post and offer suggestions. I look forward to reviewing more posts on this site to glean new information.    

I was installed thousand Hi-Fi2 system. sometime meet this problem on some router because port 23 is FPT port. Hi-Fi2 utility work with all port. I think you didn't changed port completely

I tried again to change the port but it doesn't seem to work. Even if I change the port to 20 upon Connect it automatically changes it to 23. I am using an ethernet connection and HiFi2 Setup Utility.

How does one change the port setting on the amp?

Thanks.

Hello,
I'm in the same boat as @IAMALWAYSWRITE. I started installing my Hi-Fi2 and other HAI components 10 years ago when I first built my house. Unfortunately, life (wife and kids) got in the way and I put some of these projects off to the side. On a whim, I decided to cleanup my network closet. 90% of the Hi-Fi2 system was installed, just the wires needed to be terminated into the amp. As soon as I turned it on I only had the status LED and network lights illuminate. None of the VSC's would turn. After a day of playing around, I was able to configure the unit and get it to turn on and play audio from different sources to multiple zones. I'm able to control the zones through the iPhone app but the VSC's still don't display anything. If I press any of the buttons, on the VSC, it only controls the first zone. I downgraded the firmware to 1.0 from 1.10, which made made it worst and the VSC's didn't work at all. Then updated to 1.11. The VSC buttons work again but still nothing on the screen. I'm using Hi-Fi 2 Setup Utility Version 1.0.0.15. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hey;
Have you figured out your VSC problem yet? Just so you know, the VSC's do not run on your ethernet network. They run on 5v dc from the Hi-Fi 2 panel.

VSC Pinout
1- N/C
2- IR Enable - Low When Transmitting
3- IR Ground
4- Data -
5- Data +
6- IR
7- Ground
8- +5v DC

I currently have a blown up Hi-Fi 2 that I am trying to repair/reverse engineer and managed to get some documents like the pinout for the VSC and RIM modules before the kb.homeauto.com website was taken down.

So, double check that you are getting 5vdc out of the Hi-Fi 2 system, if you get 5v pop open one of the VSC's (4 screws on the back). With it powered verify that you get 3.3v dc on the test port marked 3.3v dc.
My VSC that doesn't work properly is simply the back light isn't coming on. All the keys function correctly and I can change zones and outputs (as long as you know which buttons to press) but the display itself isn't turning on.
One thing that I have notice from working on the older HAI parts is corrosion! I don't know if its the type of solder they used (or that china was using) but some of the components will corrode or "grow" crystals which cause tiny shorts on some circuit boards. Sometimes you can get lucky and clean them with a small toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks,
Nick

Hey;
Have you figured out your VSC problem yet? Just so you know, the VSC's do not run on your ethernet network. They run on 5v dc from the Hi-Fi 2 panel.

VSC Pinout
1- N/C
2- IR Enable - Low When Transmitting
3- IR Ground
4- Data -
5- Data +
6- IR
7- Ground
8- +5v DC

I currently have a blown up Hi-Fi 2 that I am trying to repair/reverse engineer and managed to get some documents like the pinout for the VSC and RIM modules before the kb.homeauto.com website was taken down.

So, double check that you are getting 5vdc out of the Hi-Fi 2 system, if you get 5v pop open one of the VSC's (4 screws on the back). With it powered verify that you get 3.3v dc on the test port marked 3.3v dc.
My VSC that doesn't work properly is simply the back light isn't coming on. All the keys function correctly and I can change zones and outputs (as long as you know which buttons to press) but the display itself isn't turning on.
One thing that I have notice from working on the older HAI parts is corrosion! I don't know if its the type of solder they used (or that china was using) but some of the components will corrode or "grow" crystals which cause tiny shorts on some circuit boards. Sometimes you can get lucky and clean them with a small toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks,
Nick
Much like the OP, I am finally getting my Omni Pro and Hifi-2 system going after many years. I have run into this issue where the VSC no longer can be seen but the buttons seem to work. Are you saying you have had some luck fixing this dim/backlight issue with cleaning the contacts? Glad to see others out there still using the Omni.

Much like the OP, I am finally getting my Omni Pro and Hifi-2 system going after many years. I have run into this issue where the VSC no longer can be seen but the buttons seem to work. Are you saying you have had some luck fixing this dim/backlight issue with cleaning the contacts? Glad to see others out there still using the Omni.
Leviton was offering to repair the VSCs by replacing the displays in the VSCs for $30 each. Not sure that they are still offering that service. It's a common issue. I took thought it was a issue of the screen not connecting to the PCB, but I did not have any luck cleaning the contacts. If someone else has an idea how to repair them that works, if be all ears.

Leviton was offering to repair the VSCs by replacing the displays in the VSCs for $30 each. Not sure that they are still offering that service. It's a common issue. I took thought it was a issue of the screen not connecting to the PCB, but I did not have any luck cleaning the contacts. If someone else has an idea how to repair them that works, if be all ears.
Were they doing this via the normal support methods or was there some direct contact method? How long ago was this? I just took apart a VSC last night and cleaned contacts. No luck either. Trying to see if I can find just the replacement display but not having luck either. Not really my area of expertise though. (edit: These were made by Nuvo, which I now see was acquired by Legrand who dumped the line. I have been off the scene for a few years, much has changed).

Last edited:
It looks like the last time was June of 21', done thru normal channels on their website. I just put in a request for another 4 of my VSCs that have failed. I'll update this thread if they respond.

Without a part number or some other identifying info, I am not sure how to find replacement LCDs for these units. Did you see any printing or info on the LCD when you had it out?

Back