UPB 8-Button on Slave?

bfisher

As my topic title states, I'm hoping I can install a HAI 8 Button on one of my slave switch locations.

My master bedroom has 3 switches... I want the main switch to be a UPB Single paddle, one slave to be a single paddle, and one slave to be an 8 button.

Is this possible?

Even better would be if I can eliminate 1 slave altogether (never ever used... didn't even know it was there until I started planning this project), have a single paddle on the main, and an 8 button on the other slave. But no biggie if I need to be a slave switch...

Thanks!

My understanding is you can use a full switch at a slave location. If that is truly the case, I don't see why that could not be an 8 button controller.

Yes you can wire in an 8 button unit where there was a slave if you have a hot and a neutral in that box. If there is not a hot and/or a neutral you may be able to use the "travelers" to bring hot or neutral to the box, Then just wire the hot and neutral to the 8 button and program.
Good luck,
Dave

cool, thanks. I assume I have hot and neutral (based on my others I've done)... guess we'll find out! :eek:

If you have hot and neutral everywhere, why don't you just use the 8-button controller on the main switch, put it where you want it as a slave, and let it control the load. Then, put a slave where you want the single paddle main switch, and tell it to send a link to the 8-button controller to turn on your bedroom lights.

I may not be right (and that's known to happen a lot), but on a multi-way like you have, each with hots and neutrals and travelers, I don't think it matters which gangbox you stick your master switch into, does it?

Adam,
I beleive the HAI 8button bfisher is using will not carry a load as the SA 8 button (US240) So he will have to use a switch to carry the load. Yes he can put the switch that carries the load anywhere in the 4way circuit he wants as long as he has the wires to do it.
Dave

Ah, I didn't realize the HAI controllers could not carry loads. I have all SAI's so far. If it doesn't carry a load, are you only able to put them as a slave switch? How could you replace a normal, load-bearing switch with one of these? Do you have to have an extra spot in the gangbox?

He will probably reply but he was planning to us a single paddle master switch to carry the load and use an 8 button at one of the slave locations. The only way to move switches around in this instance is if the travelers will let you move the load carrying switch to another location in the 4 way.

yes, I understand, but I'm not sure my questions was answered. let's see if I can phrase it a little more clearly. Is the only way to wire the HAI 8-button controller as a slave in a multi-way setup since it can't carry a load?

DeLicious said:
yes, I understand, but I'm not sure my questions was answered. let's see if I can phrase it a little more clearly. Is the only way to wire the HAI 8-button controller as a slave in a multi-way setup since it can't carry a load?
Technically it is not a slave. You can put it anwhere you have line/neutral/ground wires. All it is doing is injecting UPB signals (links) onto the power line to be received by other units, so in reality it can go anywhere you want.

but you can't put it anywhere were only a single switch controls a load because you would have to replace that switch with something that can control it (or put an inline module in place). at least, that's how i'm seeing it, which is why i thought you would only be able to place the controller in a multi-way setup.

DeLicious said:
but you can't put it anywhere were only a single switch controls a load because you would have to replace that switch with something that can control it (or put an inline module in place).
That is true. But you can as you say, put it in a muliway, or you can convert to a double gang box, or put it entirely anyplace you want that you have the wires available, so you can even pigtail off of anything around and put a box specifically for the controller. It all depends on what you want. If you NEED multibutton AND load control in the same single gang box, then you just need to use an SAI US240 with appropriate faceplate.

None of the switches mentioned so far on this thread can be "wired as a slave" Only These or other brands of remote/slaves can and should be wired as slaves. With the advent of UPB, Insteon, Z-wave, we can now install switches or controllers, and program them to simulate a slave switch. This has created a lot of confusion as expressed on these forums, when non "slave" switches are wired to the master using the travelers. The terminology of calling them a slave adds to the confusion.
Because these switches can be programmed to operate another switch they can become a "virtual slave" but they should never be called or wired as a "slave" to a master.
Adam,
In the setup mentioned in this thread, the HAI 8 button can be anywhere there is a hot and a neutral. It could even be in the single gang box with the load If the load can be attached to the switched leg of the master switch (in an other box) by using one of the travelers.
By the way I am enjoying your blog!
Dave
(I was formulating my reply while you guys were corrisponding)

Now I'm confused (not surprised, doesn't take much :eek: )

My understanding is the HAI 8button can switch the load so it can be a direct replacement for a single switch location.

However, in this instance, I want it moved to a slave location (more convenient). If I understand the discussion, I can use it to switch the load, and put in 2 slaves at my other locations (assuming I have hot, nuetral and travellers).

I'm not sure I know what I'm doing here... but I'll give it a shot (once my order from AO gets in). I might need to post some pics of the wires and get help from you guys...

bfisher,
Per the date sheet below the HAI 8 button does not carry a load.

In your application you will need one HAI (or other brand) UPB wall switch some where in your circuit to carry the load. (This should be in the box where the load can be found)
You will not know until you open up the boxes and search for the hot and the neutral where you will need to put the switches. Your existing wiring will determin where your load is. Be shure you know where the hot and the load are in your 3or4 way circuit before starting to wire up with the new switches.

You should not try to move the load carring switch to another box in the circuit until you really understand what you are doing with the travelers.

For some thoughts about converting a standard 3 way to a UPB controlled 3 way request the 3 way information from Brad at Simply Automated.
I would post the document here but it is too large for me to post.

Contact Brad at Simply Automated 800-630-9234
or email: [email protected]

Someone is available Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM Pacific Time.

HAI 8 button date sheets Here

HAI wall switch and remote switch (actually they call it an Auxiliary Switch) Data Sheets Here

SAI switch wiring and 3 way wiring Here.
Get a better version from Brad above!

Back