UPB and motion controlled floodlights

db-us

I am switching over from X10 to UPB for lighting. I am currently using the X10 combination floodlight/motion detector for my exterior lighting. Is anyone aware of a UPB floodlight/motion detector combination?

nope, but none for Z-wave or Insteon either. I have asked all the manufacturers, but apparently it is too niche of a product so far.

Wayne's right, no one makes a motion flood light like x10's.

You could control the floods with a UPB switch and use x10 RF motions with THIS product.

Just an Idea
Dave

I am in the same boat. I have those X10 floodlights, but they just aren't reliable enough. I am planning on putting a UPB switch in place, and hook it up to a regular set of floodlights, I just need to find a really good (but cheap) outdoor motion detector, which I will connect directly to the M1.

I'm doing the same as Electron... I bought some Optex outdoor detectors that I need to install. I went looking for them to post a link but they were a lot more money than I remember paying for them. I thought I paid around $60-70 apiece but couldn't find them for that price...

I have done this with a UPB UMI, motion sensor and a PC. While functional there is a noticable difference on local control. With X10 Floodlights the light comes on immediatey on motion detected, but with the UPB motion in, processor, UPB relay out transaction it adds a second. Not a problem when walking, but when a car is moving there is quite a bit of distance covered by the car before the light comes on.

THESE Aleph outdoor motion sensors are about the cheapest ones I have seen.

t_1158.jpg

Michael McSharry said:
I have done this with a UPB UMI, motion sensor and a PC. While functional there is a noticable difference on local control. With X10 Floodlights the light comes on immediatey on motion detected, but with the UPB motion in, processor, UPB relay out transaction it adds a second. Not a problem when walking, but when a car is moving there is quite a bit of distance covered by the car before the light comes on.
That's why I make the floodlights come on when the garage door opens, and it's dark outside. Since the garage door opener has a long range, it actually works much better than a motion sensor.

My first floodlight is 600ft from the garage with two others along the driveway. The garage door opener would not do much good in my case as I would have passed by all the lights before I'm within range of the garage.

As it is now I have two motion sensors. One is 100ft before the first light and this usually gives time for the lights to be turned on before I reach the first one. I also have one at the first light and if It does not trip then only the first light goes on. Wildlife and windy days will tend to cause motion detection. The wind is handled with wind sensors so on windy days I will not turn on the first light, but will need a timed sequence of motion from the first two sensors to turn the remaining two lights on. The two motion sensors at the end are also used for outbound logic to turn off the lights when exiting. I'm using Visonic SPY-1 motion sensors because that is what I had in my junk box. I do not think they are rated for outdoors, but they are covered and have survived one summer and winter so far.

Here's the link for info on the Optex dual-PIR: Optex VX402 series

One of them is wireless. I'm looking at these for my new build as the dual-PIR helps eliminate false activation.

Smarthome has the wired model for $153. I found them for $115 at Pillar Products, though I have no info on the vendor. Here's their link: Pillar Products

AutomatedOutlet said:
THESE Aleph outdoor motion sensors are about the cheapest ones I have seen.

t_1158.jpg
Turns out that those are the ones I purchased... I have Optex for all my interior PIRs. I haven't installed these yet to know how well they work...

Back