UPB PIM Panel Surge Protection

rsw686

I wanted to put some sort of surge protection on the serial cable between the PIM and panel. I had looked at RJ45 surge protectors but the clamping voltage is 7.5V. RS232 specifies a +/- 12V. It looks like I need to purchase a DB9 surge protector, which has a clamping voltage of 18V, and make two RJ45 to DB9 adapters.

The Tripp Lite DB9 surge protector without a grounding cable. It looks like it grounds the surge through the metal connector. With the RJ45 to DB9 adapters there wouldn't be any connection to ground.
http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=157

Black Box has a DB9 with ground connector, but it is four times the price.
ttp://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/RS-232-Surge-Protector-DB9/SP361A%C4%82R2

I'm curious to see what others have done to protect the panel serial port.

I haven't added the whole house surge suppression, mainly due to the panel being flush mounted in a room. I should do this to help protect the HVAC and other appliances. I still would like to add surge suppression to the serial port. The transformer for the HAI panel is surge protected. The thermostats are ZigBee so they are not directly connected. The PIM is the weak link with a direct line into the panel.

The PIM needs to see 5V on the DTR line. Make sure whatever surge device you get allows for this.

Back