• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Upgrading to HS2.0

Upgrading to HS2.0

  • Already did

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Will wait till it gets better even if I have to pay $99

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Decided to not upgrade at all

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hoping HST comes to its senses and extends the offer date

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

Skibum

Senior Member
If HST does not extend the discount offer to a point to where HS2.0 actually works without 30 posts per day of issues... I'll just stick with 1.7...
I really do not want to be put in the place of having to make a decision next week whether to waste $39 on Alpha level software.

In fact, I'll resent it.
 

TCassio

Active Member
2.0 works for me. I did a clean install and a complete rebuild of my configuration. Here is my config:

WinXP - SP2 - all the latest patches.
HS 2.0 build 1972
Plugins installed:
Smarthome Powerlinc USB X10 Controller
ACRF W800
DooNetworks
WeatherXML
Weather Warnings
HSTV
DVD Collection
mcsDevice Grid
ActiveBackup

51 Devices
79 Events

All has been running without errors for about 3 weeks, became stable with build 1955 and a complete rebuild of my configuration.

I do get a few errors from the speaker app but it works in spite of errors.
__________________
 

The Pod

Active Member
I think you need another option on the poll:

"Haven't upgraded or not sure about upgrading, but purchased upgrade codes for the $39 special offer anyway."

At this point I do not see myself upgrading until the is INSTEON support. I currently run the serial version of Way2Call with HS 1.7 and it is not supported in 2.0. So if I do upgrade, I'll lose the phone interface or it'll cost me another $300 for the USB Way2Call. So until HS supports INSTEON, there is no reason for me to upgrade and down size my functions. I figure if I do decide in the furture the need to upgrade (like INSTEON support), I will at least have the codes for it and it only costed me $39.

The Pod
 

smee

Senior Member
I voted that I have upgraded, but I really haven't. I need the same option as The Pod since I went ahead and paid to get in at the introductory cost. Except, I'm not waiting for Insteon support.

I too really hope that they extend the deal. I think they run the risk of losing sales considering how things look right now.
 

Skibum

Senior Member
TCassio

You seem to be one of the lucky few... ;) (Based on the other poll, and user complaints. I have NOT tried it)
 

Rupp

Senior Member
I upgraded and have been running without problems. Of course I run a minimalist plugin count. My only problem is getting my plugins all rewritten to run on HS 2.0. I just do not have the desire to port them. I still haven't bought the W800 plugin either. So I'm back to the RR501s and believe it or not so far so good. I'm down to PowerLinc USB, Z-Wave, and the Ocelot plugins along with touchpad.
 

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Rupp, I thought people mentioned that the older W800 plugin works with HS2 as well, am I mistaken?
 

hhnew

Member
Well, like Smee and The Pod I bought the $39 upgrade but I'm not going to install it until things smooth out with the product.
Oh, and Skibum, I too resent it.
 

Rupp

Senior Member
Dan,
It probably would and I have read those reports as well. I'm attempting to keep my Hs 2.0 install as cherry as possible so I just haven't tried it. I was going to use Acronis to ghost the machine and then try it but frankly I've been too lazy.
 

TrOjAn

Member
Dan, apparently the OLD w800 plugin works for most but not all... After the problems I have had, even on a NEW PC built just for testing, I feel, IMO, its just not stable or reliable enough.

Unfortunatly its hard to sort problems out with my very limited experience so I rely on others to help me out.

I have 2 main plugins, the w800 and the webcam plugin, under 2 the w800 is fine but the HST Webcam plugin is just a pain, it works ok under 1.7.

My stage in the "game" is ... I have the hs2 keys for later and will stick with 1.7

I was really looking forward to getting HS2 for the multi threading but I have installed it 4 times and on each occasion I have had to uninstall and do a system restore.

Even the 1972 "upgrade" had to have the first install removed, install 1961 and then do the upgrade... Im just lost now. Ill wait ;)
 

Squintz

Senior Member
Missing... "Upgraded and then droped HS all together for about 2 months and Switched to CQC. Then returned to HS only to use its RFID and IP_Plugin to feed CQC"

So I chose Not Upgrading at all because in the end I ened up going back to 1.7 for what i need it for. I know electron doesnt agree but it seems 1.7 stable enough for me. 2.0 just needs to be started over from scratch but thats not possible at this point because hs has already charged everyone.
 

The Pod

Active Member
Rupp said:
I upgraded and have been running without problems. Of course I run a minimalist plugin count.
Rupp, When I was Beta testing HS 2.0, I eventually tried loading it with no external or 3rd party plugins, just running it with X-10 and a CM11A, and my test box ran perfect for the entire 30 trial period without a crash or single error. The biggest problem is with HST trying to support so many different HA options and devices, there are thousands upon thousands of configurations their customers may try to setup in their home. Not to mention the fact that not everyone is running the exact same PC hardware or MS software and revision level. The fact that MS software itself is different across their platforms really makes it hard on software developers to develop software that is supported across different MS platforms. Want proof... Try installing AOL 9.0 to a MS W2K3 Server.

The Pod
 

gtirebuyer

New Member
I just took a trip to the web archive of the original homeseer site. This question was asked:

"Once I register Homeseer, what is your upgrade policy? Will my registration code be valid for all future release? Only 1.x releases? Would I have to pay an upgrade 'fee' to go to a future version, such as 2.0?"

This was the replay:

"Upgrades are FREE! We currently have no plans for a completely new version (like HomeSeer Pro or something like that), and that would be the only time we would charge an upgrade fee. The products final feature set is still evolving, so what you pay now includes future features.

-Rich"


So it looks to me that there is a free upgrade to 2.0 which I paid for back in '99.
Herre is the link:


http://web.archive.org/web/19991007143539/...essages/12.html


I guess a deal is a deal unless you need money.

:(
 

Rupp

Senior Member
The Pod said:
Rupp said:
I upgraded and have been running without problems. Of course I run a minimalist plugin count.
Rupp, When I was Beta testing HS 2.0, I eventually tried loading it with no external or 3rd party plugins, just running it with X-10 and a CM11A, and my test box ran perfect for the entire 30 trial period without a crash or single error. The biggest problem is with HST trying to support so many different HA options and devices, there are thousands upon thousands of configurations their customers may try to setup in their home. Not to mention the fact that not everyone is running the exact same PC hardware or MS software and revision level. The fact that MS software itself is different across their platforms really makes it hard on software developers to develop software that is supported across different MS platforms. Want proof... Try installing AOL 9.0 to a MS W2K3 Server.

The Pod
I totally agree "Pod". This is what users need to keep in mind. The more plugins you load the more likely it is that something will fail. This is probably why I've had so few problems. I simply do not need but a few plugins. I've witnessed user after user load plugin after plugin and then complain that their system is unstable. I just do not do this.
 
Top