UPS inside structured wiring enclosure

Ira

I want to put a small UPS inside of my wiring enclosure to provide power to a small LAN switch, the Elk ethernet module, a couple of Brultech ECM-1240's, and maybe a few future items. The only thing I've found that will work (i.e., fit) is the Tripplite AV550SC. Problem with that UPS is the battery is not user-replaceable. That means $150+ every time the battery goes out. I have a standby genset, so unless it fails during a POCO outage, unscheduled power outages only last about 30 seconds. That means the UPS doesn't need to be very "big" -- 350VA would probably be plenty. The enclosure will be recessed in a wall. My attic gets too hot to put a UPS in it.

Any other suggestions that accomplish the same goal? To be honest, I don't even need the surge suppression capability in the UPS. I'm having a whole house suppressor installed soon, and I was planning on using the Leviton suppressor/outlet to provide power at the bottom of the enclosure.

Thanks,
Ira

Ira,

Have you considered powering the XEP and Hub directly from the Elk? You would need to do some Amp verifications and might want to consider adding extra batteries to the Elk but I do not see why it would not work. I know the XEP is 12v.

As for the Brultechs, what exactly were you going to measure if the power is out?

Ira,

Have you considered powering the XEP and Hub directly from the Elk? You would need to do some Amp verifications and might want to consider adding extra batteries to the Elk but I do not see why it would not work. I know the XEP is 12v.

As for the Brultechs, what exactly were you going to measure if the power is out?

Hadn't thought about powering stuff off the Elk. The switch I want to use is actually 12VAC. I have a couple of other switches that are 5VDC. You are right about the Brultechs, though. All they would record is the fact that power was out, and I have other ways to do that. I was just thinking of all the powered devices I may have in the enclosure, and it's a convenient place to put the Brultechs.

Just seems like there ought to be a small UPS with a replaceable battery that was designed to fit inside a structured wiring enclosure. Tripplite is close, but I think they messed up by not making the battery replaceable. I guess if it lasts for three years or more, it's not too bad of an option.

Ira

I have my router and accesspoint powered off a 12 Vdc supply with battery backup for a total cost of about $50 if I was to buy the parts (I got the supply free). I have to do my switches next which are 6 vdc and should cost about $40.

I have tripplite UPS's that they used to sell in Costco for $99. 3 of them died in the first two years because the battery died. I just replace the 9 ah battery inside with an ELK-1280 for whatever the retail is on them probably $25 (I bought direct from ELK at the time).

I have a Tripplite AV550SC sitting here for over a month now. I never installed it since there are no mounting brackets etc. It seems a bit pricey and I think I am sorry I bought it.

PS I have done a ton of battery testing for alarm systm in the past year and the ELK batteries were by far the best that I tried out of 5 or 6 brands. One test that UL requires is to run the system with the batteries at 122 degrees on battery charge and discharge at full load. Some brands crapped out but the ELK did not show any noticable diffrence at the higher temps etc. Dam good batteries.

I have my router and accesspoint powered off a 12 Vdc supply with battery backup for a total cost of about $50 if I was to buy the parts (I got the supply free). I have to do my switches next which are 6 vdc and should cost about $40.

I have tripplite UPS's that they used to sell in Costco for $99. 3 of them died in the first two years because the battery died. I just replace the 9 ah battery inside with an ELK-1280 for whatever the retail is on them probably $25 (I bought direct from ELK at the time).

I have a Tripplite AV550SC sitting here for over a month now. I never installed it since there are no mounting brackets etc. It seems a bit pricey and I think I am sorry I bought it.

PS I have done a ton of battery testing for alarm systm in the past year and the ELK batteries were by far the best that I tried out of 5 or 6 brands. One test that UL requires is to run the system with the batteries at 122 degrees on battery charge and discharge at full load. Some brands crapped out but the ELK did not show any noticable diffrence at the higher temps etc. Dam good batteries.

The AV550SC manual says the battery is not user-replaceable. Any idea if that is really true? I couldn't find anyone selling replacement batteries for it, but maybe once the case is cracked open, one would find that they are using a common battery type. Regarding brackets for it...my understanding is that it simply sits inside the structured wiring enclosure on the left/bottom side. That's why the plugs/leds/etc. are oriented the way they are. It kind of assumes that an outlet is available in the bottom right knockout of the enclosure. I also read a review on it that said it had screw holes in the back for wall mounting, but that to use them you had to open the cover which will void the warranty.

I guess I don't understand what all you are currently using for your router. Can you be a little more specific? Are you talking about something like the Elk P112? I haven't bought the switch yet so I don't actually require 12VAC. I was planning on buying the same kind I'm using elsewhere, but that's not a requirement.

Is Jaysonc's suggestion about powering the XEP off the M1G a good idea? Forget the transformer and wire it directly into a +VAUX connection?

When a power outage occurs, does the M1G and/or the P112 switch to battery fast enough that the attached devices aren't affected?

Ira

Most likely they are using a standard battery to keep costs down.

There are two 6/32 tapped holes on the back that I will try and use to affix a bracket.

I have conduit feeding into the lower left side of the enclosure I want to mount the UPS in so I need the bracket

Back