Upstart connection issues

Tesla_House

Hello All,

I have purchased home that has an Omni Pro II system with HAI switches and all we were handed was the owners manual and tech support line that is no longer in service. The last owners did not know any of details on the system and the room names on the wall panels are from the original owners kids.

I want to program some new routines into the switches and try to correct an annoying problem with the kitchen lights sometimes deciding to not turn on during the day but I have run into trouble.

I purchased a Pulse Worx PIM and the recommended USB to serial adapter and downloaded the latest version of upstart software.

I am able to establish a connection at firs with the PIM but then it disconnects. I try a few more times and then it seems to work to hold a connection.
When I try to send some random message from upstart using the UPB explorer option I can see the LED light change to red on the PIM and it makes a buzzing noise which tells me that I have a serial connection established with the PIM.

When I turn a light on or off the LED on the PIM turns red so I can tell it is receiving traffic on the power line.

What is super frustrating is that signal to noise meter on the Upstart software does absolutely nothing when I open it. The cursor just keeps flashing on the noise count per sample text field. (See image 1 in the attachments)

I try to do a network discovery by putting a device in to setup mode, and running the new file from device option, but Upstart cannot ever find the device.
I unfortunately do not know my network ID pin or network name. I have looked in all the documentation the owners left trying to find a clue to how it was set up.

Does anyone know how to find this network information in any other clever way without starting over. ( I am to much of a novice at this to attempt that and risk not having anything work)

Thanks
Marlon

Attachments

• Image 1.png
    Image 1.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Image 2.png
    Image 2.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 1
Welcome to the Cocoontech forum @Telsa_House.

Many Cocoontech forum users have HAI OmniPro panels and are still using them.

Personally utilize UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and X10 devices. Many OP2 users are utilizing UPB which is X10 on steroids.

You have come to the right place to ask your questions.

For Upstart discovery of a new network, connect to PIM and do a discovery.

A box will come up that tells you to put one switch into programming mode. Tap paddle 5 times very quickly and top LED will start to blink.

Then start your discovery. It will see your network id and password. Once you have done this save the file.

With Upstart running you can test your UPB network for power line noise which can affect your Omnipro 2 panel managing your HAI switches directly or via links.

Best too is to utilize Leviton PC Access dealer version. Here is the instruction manual for PCA.

PC Access

Read the manual and install PC Access. Read your OmniPro panel configuration and save it.

Program your UPB automation using the OmniPro 2 panel. With UPStart you can program the switches and links but not automate them.

Baby steps...start with PC access and read your panel configuration, save the configuration.

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum @Telsa_House.

Many Cocoontech forum users have HAI OmniPro panels and are still using them.

Personally utilize UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and X10 devices. Many OP2 users are utilizing UPB which is X10 on steroids.

You have come to the right place to ask your questions.

For Upstart discovery of a new network, connect to PIM and do a discovery.

A box will come up that tells you to put one switch into programming mode. Tap paddle 5 times very quickly and top LED will start to blink.

Then start your discovery. It will see your network id and password. Once you have done this save the file.

With Upstart running you can test your UPB network for power line noise which can affect your Omnipro 2 panel managing your HAI switches directly or via links.

Best too is to utilize Leviton PC Access dealer version. Here is the instruction manual for PCA.

PC Access

Read the manual and install PC Access. Read your OmniPro panel configuration and save it.

Program your UPB automation using the OmniPro 2 panel. With UPStart you can program the switches and links but not automate them.

Baby steps...start with PC access and read your panel configuration, save the configuration.
@pete_c

Thanks for the response and advice. Can you explain the difference between PC access and Upstart. Also where would be able to obtain PC Access dealer version. I assume it is not a free download.

Regarding the discovery mode using Upstart, I feel like I have followed those steps 50 times with no success. The upstart software says that it cannot find the device that is in setup mode. Perhaps the original installer told the devices not to broadcast on 0000. (Just a wild theory I have)

PC Access is configuration and updating software for you Leviton Omni Pro panel.

The OmniPro panel communicates to your HAI UPB switches via a UPB PIM.

Upstart is a configuration and diagnostics tool for your UPB switches / network.

Leviton removed licensing requirements on PCA a while ago.

You may have powerline noise or a defective UPB PIM. Typically it just works. Change the device in set up mode and see if that helps. Be patient.

@pete_c

Thanks for sharing the PC Access software. I have it installed but I cannot get it to go online to my network using the PIM.
When I try to connect using the the serial option it tries to connect and then appears to fail.

In the bottom right pane of the program it says that it is OFF-LINE.

I checked the serial connection and confirmed I can get a response from the PIM LED and a buzzing noise when I try to send a command from Upstart, so I am confident the serial connection between the PC to the PIM is working.

I suppose I must need to connect to the network using PC access to be able to discover the network using an existing lights witch in setup mode?
I read through the PC Access manual but did not see details on that process.

Thanks,

Use the keyboard console to put or check to see what the IP is of your OmniPro panel. Also check the keys.
There should be an Ethernet cable running from your panel to a switch on your home network.

Then running PCA configure the IP and keys in the configuration. It should connect.

The spare UPB PIM you have will function only for UPB switch management.

Once you download the configuration from the panel you will see the UPB light configuration.

I suppose I must need to connect to the network using PC access to be able to discover the network using an existing lights witch in setup mode?

PC Access will allow you to configure scheduling of your lightning. PCAccess does not do a discovery. You have to manually configure each UPB switch with it. Upstart's purpose is to configure your UPB switches and network and links.

To manage your security / automation you need to access the panel and download the configuration and save it. To manage your UPB lighting schedules you need PCA.

In order then:

1 - check or install an Ethernet cable from your panel to a switch on your home network.
2 - using the keyboard console installer mode check or change the IP such that the panel resides on your home network. Note that the panel only does static IP addressing and does not do DHCP.
3 - using the keyboard console check the keys of the panel and write these down.

Next steps to follow.

Use the keyboard console to put or check to see what the IP is of your OmniPro panel. Also check the keys.
There should be an Ethernet cable running from your panel to a switch on your home network.

Then running PCA configure the IP and keys in the configuration. It should connect.

The spare UPB PIM you have will function only for UPB switch management.

Once you download the configuration from the panel you will see the UPB light configuration.

PC Access will allow you to configure scheduling of your lightning. PCAccess does not do a discovery. You have to manually configure each UPB switch with it. Upstart's purpose is to configure your UPB switches and network and links.

To manage your security / automation you need to access the panel and download the configuration and save it. To manage your UPB lighting schedules you need PCA.

In order then:

1 - check or install an Ethernet cable from your panel to a switch on your home network.
2 - using the keyboard console installer mode check or change the IP such that the panel resides on your home network. Note that the panel only does static IP addressing and does not do DHCP.
3 - using the keyboard console check the keys of the panel and write these down.

Next steps to follow.

@pete_c

Is the keyboard panel you are referring to showing in the picture below? If so I do not know how to see what the IP address is or how to access the keys. Your help here would be very appreciated.

1664658013444.png
Regarding the panel upstairs. It does appear that there could be ethernet cables coming from this panel. I also located a UPB PIM from HAI in the panel plugged into an outlet. The wiring is very messy from the installer or previous owner. Please let me know if any close ups beyond the picture below would be helpful.

1664658198163.png

@pete_c

Is the keyboard panel you are referring to showing in the picture below? If so I do not know how to see what the IP address is or how to access the keys. Your help here would be very appreciated.

View attachment 10726
Regarding the panel upstairs. It does appear that there could be ethernet cables coming from this panel. I also located a UPB PIM from HAI in the panel plugged into an outlet. The wiring is very messy from the installer or previous owner. Please let me know if any close ups beyond the picture below would be helpful.
@pete_c is your man to walk you thru this... But please read pages 24,25 and 26 of the attached OmniProII installer manual in the meantime. It tells you how to retrieve /set the network configuration on your system. Yes your picture is the keyboard panel. HAI officially called it the Console, others call it a keypad. Your system wiring is a bit messy but I have seen much worse....
Don

Attachments

• OmniProII installer - PK-93403-10-B0-0A-W.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Also write down the subnet / mask of your home LAN. That and check your ISP router for a free IP that you can utilize.

On your keypad / console type:

1 - setup (9)
2 - code (default is 1111) or it is written some where. This is the installer code
3 - down arrow
4 - 6 = Misc
5 - down arrow twice
6 - you will see IP and encryption keys here. You can change the IP here if you want.

Most important that you have the installer code.

Last edited:
@pete_c is your man to walk you thru this... But please read pages 24,25 and 26 of the attached OmniProII installer manual in the meantime. It tells you how to retrieve /set the network configuration on your system. Yes your picture is the keyboard panel. HAI officially called it the Console, others call it a keypad. Your system wiring is a bit messy but I have seen much worse....
Don
@dwalt

Thanks a lot that manual was key! I did not have a copy of that.
I got things up and running and was able to save all of the existing configurations.

Also write down the subnet / mask of your home LAN. That and check your ISP router for a free IP that you can utilize.

On your keypad / console type:

1 - setup (9)
2 - code (default is 1111) or it is written some where. This is the installer code
3 - down arrow
4 - 6 = Misc
5 - down arrow twice
6 - you will see IP and encryption keys here. You can change the IP here if you want.

Most important that you have the installer code.
@pete_c

Thanks for the info I was able to get it to work. I will re-arrange the network setup and clean up those wires and will come back for more advice on how to arrange scenes. Thanks so much for your help!

Back