Using ELK M1 with X-10

OK, here's my choices; ask a question and sound really dumb or continue to be lost and "in the dark" so to speak. Well, here's the question. Let's play like you expert guys, were just starting out and didn't know anything about HA. I have the ELK M1G, a couple of lamps controlled by X-10, and a PSC05. Can the ELK control a single light (let's start simple) direct through the PSC05 or is additionly hardward needed? If so, where do I go in RP and how do I input address and the comand? I know with the addition of a serial expander, it will interface with several types of lighting controls. I would like to start with X-10 because I already some several pieces. I have read the manual and read all the old post, and I'm just missing it ;) . I sure would appreciate some help....and I mean basics.
thanks,
fireball

All you need is the PSC05 interface, no other hardware is needed. You just need to create a rule with a "Then ..." action using the 'control lighting/automation', I forgot what exactly it was called, it has been a while since I made any changes to my system. If you can't figure it out, post again and I will try to post a screenshot.

All you need is the PSC05 interface, no other hardware is needed. You just need to create a rule with a "Then ..." action using the 'control lighting/automation', I forgot what exactly it was called, it has been a while since I made any changes to my system. If you can't figure it out, post again and I will try to post a screenshot.

OK, I see how the X-10 module addresses are handled. The ELK manual does not go into any details about this in the lighting section. It also doesn't explain the different formats (standard, compose?, extended). Does anyone know what they mean? My first attempt at operating a light didn't work; not sure why. I'm sure I'll get it going when I have more time to play with it. One more question, under lighting setup in RP, do the devices have to be in sequence (A1,A2,A3) or can they skip around?
thanks

Also, make sure that the PSC05 is plugged into the jack to the left of the serial interface.

Standard format will be fine for most x10 devices.

Make sure you use a 4 conductor telephone style cable that is wired exactly as in the manual. Else the PSC05 will not work correctly.

From the Hong Kong Electronics Show. Finding new toys!

Make sure you use a 4 conductor telephone style cable that is wired exactly as in the manual. Else the PSC05 will not work correctly.

From the Hong Kong Electronics Show. Finding new toys!

Talk about long distance tech support...........

Tell your partner in crime with no gall bladder I said hi and I tried to call him back before he left.

I'm in a bit of the same boat... waiting for a good Zwave solution and in the mean time, X10 for a few lights and switches.

I have lights working okay, but I can't seem to get it to dim as expected. it's Full on or black as night off. PSC05, wire from Elk to PSC05 is 4 wire as required, X10 lighting module (I know it dims, I have a handheld remote that dims it just fine) so I'm not 100% sure what the issue is. Yep, set the type to "STANDARD" as well.

Thanks in advance for any hints!

I'm in a bit of the same boat... waiting for a good Zwave solution and in the mean time, X10 for a few lights and switches.

I have lights working okay, but I can't seem to get it to dim as expected. it's Full on or black as night off. PSC05, wire from Elk to PSC05 is 4 wire as required, X10 lighting module (I know it dims, I have a handheld remote that dims it just fine) so I'm not 100% sure what the issue is. Yep, set the type to "STANDARD" as well.
Does this dim problem occur for ALL lights (i.e. on both phases)? I just ran into a problem with my coupler/repeater not passing X-10 DIM commands properly (ordered a new one from Martin just a minute ago).

I'm not sure if this needs to be in another post, but I thought I'd ask. I've got an x10 pro dimmer controlled by the Elk M1G with PSC05 that I would like to slowly brighten in a "wakeup" routine. It would increment one level of brightness every couple of minutes. I have tried to get a rule in the Elk to do this without any success. I was curious if anyone has ever done this with the Elk and x10.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

You would need a huge amount of rules to do that. Personally, I just ramp up the light 20% every 5-10 minutes (for my sunset scenes), which limits it to 5 rules or so.

I would like to slowly brighten in a "wakeup" routine.
I once had a routine like this and it was not too involved, just a few rules.

Basically, you can use a phantom output to trigger an increase in the brightness level (M1 supports 32 levels, right?) over a period of time. Control the whole process with a counter.

Start the process by setting the phantom output "on" for 1 minute and setting the counter to 32. When the phantom output goes "off" (times out) then send one brightness increment to the dimmer, and decrement the counter. Next rule is also triggered by the phantom output timeout, and says if the counter is not zero, turn the phantom output on again for 1 minute. Anyway that's the general idea.

Edit - I recall there was something undesirable about the M1 treatment of dimming, is it that you have to start with the light already on?

I would like to slowly brighten in a "wakeup" routine.
I once had a routine like this and it was not too involved, just a few rules.

Basically, you can use a phantom output to trigger an increase in the brightness level (M1 supports 32 levels, right?) over a period of time. Control the whole process with a counter.

Start the process by setting the phantom output "on" for 1 minute and setting the counter to 32. When the phantom output goes "off" (times out) then send one brightness increment to the dimmer, and decrement the counter. Next rule is also triggered by the phantom output timeout, and says if the counter is not zero, turn the phantom output on again for 1 minute. Anyway that's the general idea.

Edit - I recall there was something undesirable about the M1 treatment of dimming, is it that you have to start with the light already on?

I have a similar setup that uses a counter, but not an output. I have a rule that says whenever the counter is > 0 the send one decrement dim signal and subtract one from the counter. Is this a bad setup? I guess I am confused on what using the phantom output does for you.

Yes, you are right the light has to be on first, which is problem with the wake up routine. It would turn on full blast, dim all the way down and increment from there.

Thanks for the help. I am interested to know more about using phantom outputs.

Michael

Yes, you are right the light has to be on first, which is problem with the wake up routine. It would turn on full blast, dim all the way down and increment from there.
I think this is why I don't use it.

I am interested to know more about using phantom outputs.
A "phantom output" (my term, but commonplace for this sort of thing) is an M1 output that has no physical device associated with it. If for example you have the base system with one output expander in your system, then you have physical outputs for Output 1-32, but not for Outputs 33 and up. These you can use liberally in rules as "flags" or for timing purposes, turning them on and off to indicate states and conditiions and direct the actions of other rules, etc. They already exist in the firmware, and even though they don't control any real hardware, they are fully functional in the realm of rules.

They provide a convenient way to schedule a future event or introduce a delay, such as "TURN OUTPUT 93 ON FOR 15 SECONDS". When that time interval expires, you have second rule that says "WENEVER OUTPUT 93 TURNS OFF. . .". So you have triggered another event 15 seconds later.

Whenever you use phantom outputs, keep records of your usage so you don't get crossed up later. Also remember that keypads have physical outputs at the high end of the range, depending on how many keypads you have. Even if you are not using them now, it's best to keep them avaiable.

I think this is why I don't use it.

I am interested to know more about using phantom outputs.
A "phantom output" (my term, but commonplace for this sort of thing) is an M1 output that has no physical device associated with it. If for example you have the base system with one output expander in your system, then you have physical outputs for Output 1-32, but not for Outputs 33 and up. These you can use liberally in rules as "flags" or for timing purposes, turning them on and off to indicate states and conditiions and direct the actions of other rules, etc. They already exist in the firmware, and even though they don't control any real hardware, they are fully functional in the realm of rules.

They provide a convenient way to schedule a future event or introduce a delay, such as "TURN OUTPUT 93 ON FOR 15 SECONDS". When that time interval expires, you have second rule that says "WENEVER OUTPUT 93 TURNS OFF. . .". So you have triggered another event 15 seconds later.

Whenever you use phantom outputs, keep records of your usage so you don't get crossed up later. Also remember that keypads have physical outputs at the high end of the range, depending on how many keypads you have. Even if you are not using them now, it's best to keep them avaiable.

Thanks for the explanation! It seems to be a more tidy way of doing it than an EVERY 30 SECONDS AND COUNTER > 0. By the way, what do you use for lighting now? I would like to switch to Z-wave but looking at all the stuff I would have to have to just get one Z-wave switch up and running, it would be to pricey for us right now.

Thanks again for the help!

Michael

Back