• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

Using UPB Phase Couplers With Insteon

upstatemike

I have seen a few posts where people have successfully used a UPB Phase Coupler to bridge Insteon signals across electrical phases. I am thinking of trying this at some point but had a few questions for those who are doing it:

-Does it matter what brand coupler I use? I was thinking of using the Simply Automated ZPC-W.

-I assume X-10 signals would also get bridged to some extent?

-What are the pros and cons of doing this instead of bridging with a pair of Insteon RF modules as suggested by SmartHome?

elcano

Assuming that the UPB coupler is a high pass filter designed for UPB frequencies (4 - 40 kHz), then any other signal above that frequency should pass OK. Insteon uses a frequency of about 130KHz and X-10 uses 120kHz, which are both above the UPB carrier.

elcano

About the pros/cons:

I can only think that the Insteon is an active repeater, vs the UPB coupler that should be a passive coupler only (again, I assume).

upstatemike

elcano said:
About the pros/cons:

I can only think that the Insteon is an active repeater, vs the UPB coupler that should be a passive coupler only (again, I assume).
Not an issue since every Insteon device is also a repeater. Once the signal is on the other phase it will get plenty of boost.

dhoward

Another Pro for using a UPB bridge would presumably be the transmission of Insteon Extended commands. I just found out today that the currently shipping RF Insteon Signalincs do not pass extended Insteon commands and only pass standard length commands.

Dave.