• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

UStec introduces tecStreamâ„¢

Lenio

tecStream is the first and only multi-room/multi-user digital network that integrates video, audio, voice and data over a single Cat5 cable, and does so with unparalleled ease of use, quality of service, and security. From now on, everyone will be able to watch, listen and communicate anything, from anywhere in the home, on demand, simultaneously, and without contention issues and with the highest quality. Rather than buying multiples of any particular device, you’ll be able to share all the devices on your network, regardless of where you or the devices themselves are located. It also means that you will be able to connect all the analog devices that you currently own, and, if you ever desire, convert them over to a totally digital format at the pace you choose...

http://www.tecstream.com

jrfuda

Looks promising, but the fact that you have to fill out a contact form to get pricing (or be called/harassed by a local installer), and that it looks like a dealer-installed product makes it look out of reach for most of us here.

Martin, perhaps you should contact 'em and see what kind of dealer pricing there is, and if it's allowed to be sold for consumer installation or not.

If it's reasonably priced, and DIY is allowed, then we might be on to something!

Oh, and the remote control has to be IR and not some annoying proprietary RF protocol that you can only control with the supplied remote!

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lenio,

Welcome to Cocoontech! I just watched the demo and browsed your site, and this looks pretty interesting. The only thing I can not confirm is if this device supports component/HDTV inputs. Does your company offer evaluation/review setups? I also would like to know about the remote as well (RF or IR).

edit: I had to move the topic, somehow, it was started in Marketplace, which isn't even a forum. It is just a category, so posting shouldn't have been possible. I'll have to fix this issue so new manufactures can post about their product without requiring a subforum.

Lenio

Thanks Electron...

I'll start with the easy one first: the remote is IR. One of the great advantages of tecStream is that it is actually 5 networks in one (1394, A/V, IR, Ethernet and telephone) so, any existing IR device in a home can be placed on the network - tecStream, and not the remote, learns the codes for the device then passes the IR signal right on through to the device. Like a mouse is to a computer, the tecStream remote is to the tecStream platform.

Our Regional Sales manager makes the decisions on Demo's, I will pass the request on to him. (likely a function of when, not if)

HDTV... tecStream outputs component 480i. More on the subject can be learned on the website and in the press release (news / reviews) I defer on this subject as I am not the resident technical expert!

As for pricing, tecStream today is only available through our Dealer network... thus the contact form. Our Dealers will not harass, (at least I sure hope they won't), and are all certified to install tecStream. The reason being that tecStream squeezes so much content onto Cat5 (4 guaranteed 12mbs simultaneous streams per Cat5 cable) that it becomes very important to properly install every cable - service cannot be guaranteed otherwise.

Mike

If it's reasonably priced, and DIY is allowed, then we might be on to something!

Very much agreed, I've seen a few other products like this but they usually wound up costing too much. I think its a great idea though.

Rather than buying multiples of any particular device, you’ll be able to share all the devices on your network, regardless of where you or the devices themselves are located.

To that end, there is no point in not buying multiples if the cost of this approach is too high (can be cheaper to just buy more original equipment and avoid any issues). I do like the concept (and have tried my own dsitribution approaches to not just avoid buying multiple pieces of equipment, but to get the boxes out of the rooms).

Looks promising, but the fact that you have to fill out a contact form to get pricing (or be called/harassed by a local installer), and that it looks like a dealer-installed product makes it look out of reach for most of us here.

My own personal opinion: I hate this approach. I don't think I've bought a single thing from this type of scenario. In fact, I happened to be referenced to Ustec soon after it was released and I was planning my structured wiring. That's what stopped it being a consideration for me. While I understand it is a business approach, also keep in mind that there is a market you are ignoring by taking this stance. Whatever makes you successful however, this is only my opinion.

Steve

I have to agree with Mike and jrfuda. I have seen on many occasions where a capable diy guy is just as, if not *more* capable than even a certified tech. It all really depends on the dealer and quality of person they hire. For example there are many paper MCSE’s out there that are ‘certified’ but don’t have a clue what they are doing and a lot of guys that couldn’t care less about certification or testing and really have it going on. I’ve thrown my share of vendors out of the office when they’ve proven they know less than my guys (at 5 time the cost!). As Mike said – depends on your market – your approach works nicely for the affluent non technical type, but the technical and capable diy market usually steers clear of that. Just my $.02.