Voice during alarm

Steve

I had an issue that was driving me nuts for a while that I think I just realized what was happening and would either like to confirm that is by design, or see if there is a workaround, suggestion or fix.

When the M1 goes into alarm mode, Output1 spits out the Burglary warnings/siren, etc. That works fine on its own. What I did was to create a telephone configured as reporting format 5 - Voice and made a rule on alarm to dial that phone and announce Burglary. What happens is that when the alarm triggers the speakers on Output1 start their thing but a second or two later they just cut off. The keypads continue to beep. I realized that Output1 must be being used to deliver the voice message over the phone so when telco was seized to deliver the message, Output1 local was cut off. I did confirm after telco was completed and released the line, sound came back local.

Aside from having additional sirens on Output2 (I do have a few piezo screamers with a delay on Output2), is there any way to continue to have local voice and deliver a voice message over telco? My concern is if there is some self monitoring, there is no 'deterrent' of the local alarm until Output2 kicks in. I know I could just send a text message or email to the phone instead of a voice message, but was just wondering...

Can we please get some input on this Spanky? This really makes me nervous now that I've gotten my telephone/dsl/2-way listen-in set up this weekend. When I noticed the same issue (output1 getting yanked from local to telco), I thought I had done something wrong until I found this old thread. I don't have an outside speaker yet either, but even if I did, I would like a constant inside audible deterrent until I actually initiate listen-in. I have two related questions as well (sorry - I know I'm probably starting to be a thorn in your side):

1. Surprisingly, it seems that I can't initiate listen-in when the system calls ME (via rule). Once I found the "voice dial message" VM, and plugged it into my rule, I assumed that I would have the same functionality available as I do when *I* initiate local or remote phone control (e.g. no alarm). Is there no way to avoid having to call the system back to gain remote control and listen-in functionality? Or, can I at least somehow just initiate listen-in when the M1 calls me, even if I can't have full automation control at that time? I know that *55* will work for the CS, but will it work for me from my cell-phone?

2. The OP mentioned a text message to a cell phone as a known work-around to avoid losing local output1. I can't seem to find a Then statement for that - only Dial and Send Email are apparent to me. I searched for "text message" here on the forums, and didn't find any post subjects that seemed to hit on that.

Thanks if Spanky (or anyone) can shed some light on (what should be) my last round of complete newb questions.

2. The OP mentioned a text message to a cell phone as a known work-around to avoid losing local output1. I can't seem to find a Then statement for that - only Dial and Send Email are apparent to me. I searched for "text message" here on the forums, and didn't find any post subjects that seemed to hit on that.

The only way I know to send text messages it to (with verizon) send an email to [email protected] and it will deliver it to your cell phone. I know most providers have a service like this just google it and your provider and it should come up.

The only way I know to send text messages it to (with verizon) send an email to [email protected] and it will deliver it to your cell phone. I know most providers have a service like this just google it and your provider and it should come up.

I email my cell phone all of the time form the elk. FOr Nextel I think its your cell number @messaging.nextel.com. It works great!

There is only one voice processor and generated audio path on the M1 that can use Output 1 and the dialer voice path. Therefore you can only have one voice or siren active at the same time. If you have a voice message being delivered after an alarm, the Output 1 amplifier is shutdown and the voice path is redirected out the audio path on the telephone connection. You may want to delay the voice dialer message for a minute or two so that the audible alarm can run off any would be burglars.

Guys

We also found this out the hard way. If you are dialing a base station, the whole activity should take less than 30 seconds. If you're using the "dial my cellphone and talk to me", then you wont see anything out of the local voice output until you "kiss it off".

Why not buy the seperate voice module and drive that from an output and hence remove the limitation you're having. I'm thinking of going this way incase I dont get a kiss off from my base station on the first dial.....

Cheers..Pete

Why not buy the seperate voice module and drive that from an output and hence remove the limitation you're having. I'm thinking of going this way incase I dont get a kiss off from my base station on the first dial.....

Do you mean the ELK-110 (or would that work?)

While the M1 is sending voice to a cell phone, the siren and voice on Output 1 is turned off. If you need a siren to keep going you can use Output 2 Siren only output, but you will need a separate speaker. Another option is to use a separate voice siren like the ELK-110 and trigger it from Output 3 with a Rule.

I am new to this forum and found this older post while searching for the same problem. I just installed the M1 last month and was working the bugs out when I came across this limitation of output 1 turning off during voice dial. I thought it was a malfunction. Has anyone come up with a way around this. I know the other 4 phone reporting formats do not cause a loss of output 1 during dialing and reporting. I tried them. I get the call on my cell but since it isn't getting acknowledged it produces a communication error on the M1. Is there any way to make a cell phone acknowledge any of the other formats to avoid getting the communication error when the report doesn't get acknowledged? All I need at present is to be notified of an alarm condition on my cell by voice.

Back