Volume controls

tlparker

I have many speakers in my house (done by the previous owner, not exactly like I would have, but not a bad job). Each speaker (or, in some cases two pairs in parallel, and this is where he really screwed up) is controlled by a manual volume control mounted on the wall, often next to the light switch. It seems like a simple enough device, my only issue is that I have to get up off my fat butt to change it!

I'm having a devil of a time finding a simple IR or RF (I have a z-wave compatible remote control -- the logitech 890, which I'm liking quite a bit except for some software annoyances) wall-mounted volume switch. You can find scads of these for lights made by Insteon, Lutron, etc., but I'll be danged if I can't find one that is just a simple, stand-alone remote-controllable speaker volume control.

The ones I've found all seem to want to be part of some "whole house distribution system" that ties multiple sets of speakers back to a multi-source / multi-out controller that then goes to the speakers. Well, I already have that covered. I have a Denon 3805 receiver with 3 zones and also a Speakercraft 1265, which has 12 channels (6 pairs) of 65 watts each, each controllable via individual line level inputs or two separats "common" inputs (which I have connected to the Denon Zones, so everything is honky dory). The problem is, when I'm listening to some 7 channel music, and I want to say, turn down the back two speakers a bit, I have to get up and walk over to do it. Even more annoyingly is the outside speakers, having to control an outdoor volume level with and indoor switch is maddening (go out, listen, come in, adjust, go out, etc....).

So anyways, anyone know of the equivalent of what we've had for years for lights, but for speakers (preferably with stereo separate and minimal impedence configuration)?

Terry

sorry - the ones I'm familiar with that include IR all tie back to the source. To put IR in the volume dimmer itself would require some sophistication - I'm not sure they are available like that...

Using your example - if you want to turn down the rear channels a bit - why don't you just adjust the Denon volume for those channels? That would be much easier (unless I don't understand the problem)

bfisher said:
sorry - the ones I'm familiar with that include IR all tie back to the source. To put IR in the volume dimmer itself would require some sophistication - I'm not sure they are available like that...

Using your example - if you want to turn down the rear channels a bit - why don't you just adjust the Denon volume for those channels? That would be much easier (unless I don't understand the problem)
It's not that simple, some of those speakers are tied to a group of channels assigned via the speakercraft and then that group is assigned to a Denon zone. So yes, I could turn down the entire zone, but turning down one set of channels in a group is difficult.

What I don't get is why this is supposedly so difficult. I can buy all kinds of dimmers to dim 110V electrical incandescent, flourescent, even three-way outlets. Why in the world should it be that hard to make something that is simply a variable resistor with that is remotely controlled (like the lighting controls)? I feel I must be missing something, but I'll be damned if I know what.

I assume there isn't a big market for these types of products. I know myself, I wouldn't want/need them. I want my IR to control my amp - not a local volume knob. The primary reason I use these local volume knobs is to balance the system (so one room isn't significantly louder than another in a multizone setup to 1 amp). Otherwise, I adjust it maybe 1 or 2 times a year - in a pinch and can't find the remote quickly... So to control the local volume knob by IR would not be of benefit to me - in fact just the opposite.

Also, maybe there is some complexity with ensuring sound quality isn't degraded... dunno. Good luck

I bet there is a way to hack a Leviton Digital Chopin volume control for remote adjustment. If you extended the switches on the paddles to a pair of relays, you should be able to adapt them to IR, X-10, or whatever you want.

Back