What do I need to add Insteon to my Elk m1g?

tadr

I have an Elk m1g system and I would like to add Insteon lighting control. I have the XEP module for the m1, but no XSP modules.

I plan to use the dual-band Insteon products.

What do I need to add to the Elk? If I use the isy99, do I need an XSP module or is the XEP sufficient? Will the Elk talk to the isy99 over ethernet via the XEP? I understand that I need an Insteon PLM to go with the isy99.

Let me know if there's a good tutorial on this somewhere. I've searched all over but can't find anything that lays it out.

The isy99 will talk with the xep. You will want to buy the elk software module that is extra for the isy99. I think it is an extra $49. It will work without it. But is kinda limited.

+1 for the ISY99i.

You'll not need the XSP if you are going the ISY route. It uses the XEP that you already have to communicate over the network.

I tried the direct route using an M1XSP module and it didn't work very well. It was also limited as to what you can do. With the ISY you'll get the lighting control AND you'll also get the ability to do way much more with email. The Elk is also somewhat limited in the email area also.

If it's not in the budget I would suggest waiting until you can get the ISY99i and save money on the XSP.

As for the $49 for the ISY Elk module add on, I think that was only during the beta period. I believe it's back up to $99 now.

Back