• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

What do you use to control your holiday lighting?

What do you use to control your holiday lighting?

• a simple timer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a PC (i.e. Homeseer, HAL, etc.)

• a hardware controller (i.e. Ocelot, home built controller, etc.)

• my spouse

• my kids

• I don't automate anything

• I have no holiday lighting

• Two or more of the above solutions

• Total voters

Squintz

No automated holiday lighting yet but im sure there will be some next year. It becomes a pain in the butt unpluging all those little window candle lights and all the other little orniments that require electricity. I don't like to keep them on all night because its too bright out front and keeps me awake all night. So for now every night i walk around the house unplugging everything by hand.

P.S. Yeah right! like i could get my wife to turn off a freaking light :(

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Squintz, are you telling me you don't even use simple X10 appliance modules to turn those candles off? That's what everyone else does :(

AutomatedOutlet

Well, I did vote but I really use a combination of things. I have my PC control the schedules, a KeypadLinc in the room to manually turn them on and off, and a palmpad.

WayneW

I think you should lose all your geek points on this board if you don't do something as simple as "on at sunset, off at midnight" with at least one plug-in X-10 module. Unless you don't do any holiday lighting at all, then you are excused.

Bonus points if anybody actually does sequencing of a display via X-10 or Z-wave or UPB. With X-10 you would flood the powerline pretty easy, but I bet Z-wave would be able to do a decent speed light show. anybody?

Squintz

0 geek points for me then :(

Nope i dont even use cheap X10 plugin modules. I've been spending every dime i have on Z-wave so the X-10 stuff is gonna have to wait another year. I tried X10 lighting and a couple and did not get positive results. I went straight from there to Z-wave and never looked back...Until Recently. I did just buy a new EagleEye Motion detector for my laundry room. First X10 Device that im gonna actually try to get working. Only because the Z-wave ones are taking to long. Next year i will probably be using Z-wave modules. or hopefully by then i will be using Z-wave recepticles.

I know... keep dreaming right ;)

smee

WayneW said:
Unless you don't do any holiday lighting at all, then you are excused.
Thanks. I'd hate to think that I'd lose geek points just because I don't put anything up.

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Very true Wayne, time to strip Squintz from his Geek Status :(

As for controlling the lighting using X10, that's crazy for sure, but I would imagine Z-wave would be a better solution, time for someone to try this and earn some points again ;)

Squintz

Actually i dont think it would be a very good light show. Perhaps a Z-wave switch together with industrial type Timer Realys to syncronize everything might work better. Z-waves have a very noticable delay. Maybe not so noticable to the average person but enough to drive someon like you and me nuts.

I might give it a try with a train garden next year. Depending on how much money i can save this year.

electron

Administrator
Staff member
You still can notice a delay with the Z-wave hardware? I thought it was supposed to be much faster.

smee

As long as everything has the same delay, wouldn't it effectively just time-shift the results?

huggy59

I use a variety of controllers, from PC to task-specific devices. The poll should allow multiple answers.

For my on/off events for time-critical items with high resolution needs, I use a PC with a VB program I wrote twiddling the parallel port lines, which are used to drive SSR's which switch the AC lines directly.

For standard "on at sunset, off at midnight" needs, I have HS switching most lighting systems using X10 modules and switches.

I do have some specific devices either bought or made for special tasks, such as smoke machine release timing; motion, presence detectors, and trip sensors; and similar.

And with a little luck this year I'll add some sound effects and music that is played in sync with triggered events, using a PC.

justonemore

I voted with a PC. But I have to be honest....Haven't done it yet. But am this year. Hope that counts. Maybe I'll only loose half a geek point?

Treetop

Last year, I had everything on simple timers, being that I received my first x10 module (firecracker kit) for x-mas. This year, I may put the outside lights (1 strand mind you) on a simple timer (weather resistant), but everything inside the house will be controlled via pc (girder).

Hard to believe that I've been playing with HA for (almost) a year now. This all started because I thought it would be neat to have the lights dim when a movie starts.... never thought I would have motion sensors throughout my house, moreless that I would have converstations with my computer. :(

Next year... Zoned Audio!

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I added an option to reflect if you have multiple solutions, but unfortunately I can't move votes. Treetop, those modules will work outside too, I have 3 outside, 1 of them all year around, 2 others only during winter, and they work fine (I did wrap them in a zip lock bag).