Haiku What happened to Haiku?

Haiku is the best app to control HAI/Leviton. Space needs a lot of work to get back to the basic functionality that Haiku already has (despite the dated look). I use Haiku every day and would like to see continued development of this. Is there any chance you could share the roadmap (with expected dates) for Haiku and Space? Looking at the various blogs, it appears that a lot of people would like to know the future plans, but that details have been few and far between!

Been through this before with Elve which ended up being orphaned so I'm working on the assumption it's time to start thinking about alternatives. I'm experimenting with using HomeKit connecting to my Omni via homebridge & HaikuHelper. Works well enough to at least develop a practical understanding of HomeKit's strengths and weaknesses.

My guess is that they are working through the financial realities of their current business model. I'd love to see a pivot that would bring HAI/Omni into a future that looks inceasingly likely to be dominated by big players like Apple (HomeKit), Samsung (SmartThings), and Google (Weave). I'm dreaming of a HomeKit-certified bridge for Omni but I'm not sure it's something that can be done by anyone other than HAI under HomeKit licensing. The only bridges I've seen that are multi-vendor are free, unlicensed software bridges that lack the encryption required of commercial HomeKit offerings. As best I can tell, Apple is tolerating them at the moment but things might change as the number of official HomeKit devices grows.

Thanks for the feedback, interesting comments. Have you ever tried openHAB? Leviton/HAI is supposedly supported and it seems like an interesting approach.

We're working on an update that will really change Space. We also have a lot more exciting HA stuff that is being worked on and this is slowing us down a bit on the Space update. If you want to support Space's development, please upgrade as every user counts for a niche product like this.

That sounds like it might be welcome news for Space users, but what about those that are happy with Haiku? Are you abandoning the app in the hope of force upgrading them to Space?

We install many omni system every year. On ALL of our installation, we make the customer install HAIKU. ALL OF OUR INSTALLATION. I am extremely disapointed that we can't get HAIKU anymore. In my opinion, Space does not come close to HAIKU.

Bring this great app back, it's well built, works well, has many feature not found in other app.

If you don't want to maintain it anymore, SELL IT TO LEVITON ! That have this horrible snaplink with many bugs in it and does not even come close to the nice operation of HAIKU.

:(  

Alezis said:
We install many omni system every year. On ALL of our installation, we make the customer install HAIKU. ALL OF OUR INSTALLATION. I am extremely disapointed that we can't get HAIKU anymore. In my opinion, Space does not come close to HAIKU.

Bring this great app back, it's well built, works well, has many feature not found in other app.

If you don't want to maintain it anymore, SELL IT TO LEVITON ! That have this horrible snaplink with many bugs in it and does not even come close to the nice operation of HAIKU.

:(  
ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!

Blows the doors off HAI's SnapLink App. 

Just finished rebuilding an old system with a new motherboard. Went to have client download Haiku today...CRAP!

I would pay double...get it back up there for sale.

And make improvements along the way at your own pace.

I totally agree. I bought space as a form of support, but the app is really horrible, and it has been for a while now.
A huge step behind the older but very good haiku. What is missing in space it's been made very clear in the dedicated topic so I really don't understand why Space is still so bad and totally shocked that Haiku has been pulled down.

Second here. 
I purchased Space to help out and expecting greater things since Haiku was such a home run, but the functionality and user interface of Haiku suited my needs better.
Until the terrible interface change to the white color scheme.

That ruined my user experience and soured me on both.

I still am hopeful, but less optimistic.

After using SPACE, I can tell you Justin Bieber wasn't the only disappointing thing to come out of Canada.

I have been sitting back and watching these threads now for over a year. I almost advised clents to purchase this software also, but my instinct told me to wait. Every month that goes by I feel the disappointment of those early adopters that chose to support Space. I can sort of see the developers point of view which is support space by purchasing to aid further developement, on the oother hand, by not providing support breeds mistrust with fears of being left with a half finished product and no support. I have been stung by this scenario many times in the past. With the recent secretive withdrawal of haiku makes me even more anxious . I can only imagine that this refresh must have been more work than expected and all he negative comments and reviews has not affected the developers motivation in a positive way.

How big is the market opportunity? How many Omni controllers are installed in homes that are Mac/iOS? What level of annual sales are required for it to be worthwhile to a company? To a solo developer? Apple App Store economics largely suck for these kinds of products since there's no possibility of recurring revenue from upgrades. How many customers would be to pay for the product if it was a subscription rather than one-time payment?

None of those questions give me much confidence in the future so I've pretty much replaced Haiku/Space with a HomeKit-Homebridge-OpenHAB stack. Not nearly as easy and clean as Haiku+HaikuHelper but works well so far for my needs. I've got concerns about the amount of developer attention that the OpenHAB plug-in for Omni gets given that there are compatibility questions with moving to OpenHAB 2.0 but open source has a way of muddling through.

That's not to say that I wouldn't look at a Space 2.0 product but at least I don't feel like I'm screwed if it never shows up or is complete rubbish. Better yet, I try to imagine a future where lupiglade's mad technical skills could leverage up those open source and open framework projects. There are lots of businesses that seem to be able to successfully businesses based on OSS.

Back