What video cabling would you use in this application?

shenandoah75

We are keeping our home theater upstairs, so i only need to worry about 1 zone of audio for the whole downstairs and one tv, wall mounted in the kitches on a swivel arm that i could pivot for viewing from the kitchen/nook/living room. I am not planning video switching or multi-zone, etc. I'm also thinking it would be about a 20" or so LCD... The wife forsees being able to pick a tv channel and being able to listen anywhere in the downstairs audio zone even if tv isn't in sight...

Question is cabling - specifically, what should i drop to that wall?...

Here are my options as i see them:

1) single (yellow) RCA or S-Video - Using the HT receiever (likely a Denon with multi-zone cability to feed both audio/video to "downstairs"). However, in the 2 like my choices are single rca or svideo in that case. Also, looks like denon only "downverts" hdmi/componet on main zone, not the secondary. I'm expecting my Brighthouse STB to be hooked up via hdmi. I'm still not clear from the manusl on denon's site, but at the worst, guess i could use another output and hook it to vcr 2 or something...

2) coax directly from the splitter from the brighthouse feed and use the Tv's onboard tuner or STB... In which case, i would need a TV with an onboard HDMI tuner? or will brighthouse's signal be encoded such that unlike standard cable channels, i would i need a settob box to decode the HD channels? ** I would also need rca's coming back to the downstairs whole house preamp/reciever as well. If i had to go STB, i would probably put it on a shelf just below the bracket/arm...

i personally see component video and hdmi as overkill in this app - i don't intend on having a HT setup in the kitchen :huh: and i don't want to put a ton of components in the closset for this one location. Really want to feed directly from the Denon zone 2, the cable line itslef, or worst case the STB... The latter would limit my ability to play dvd's i know, unless i add a box, but this would be rare and certainly wouldn't need access to digital content, changers. etc i might have in the family room.

Anyway, would appreciate any feedback / recommendations as i may try to drop that run tomorrow...

thx in advance
-brad

Back