Which of these new HA technologies do you own?

electron

Administrator
Staff member
I am interested in finding out if any of you have switched to one of these newer technologies (or if you are planning to), and if so, which one. If you have implemented more than 1 of these technologies, please only vote for the bigger implementation.

Feel free to mention why you have switched to your choice, since manufactures watch this site, and might be interested in learning what the consumer really wants.

UPB - reliability was primary factor. I'm not a fan of wireless communications and prefer hard-wired technologies.

I am not currently planning on migrating to any of the new technologies for reasons I have detailed elsewhere (None are supported by my stargate, etc.) If I was going to make a move however it would be a tough choice between Insteon and UPB.

UPB has been around long enough to have earned a great reputation for reliability and enough manufacturers are making UPB devices now that there is a wide choice of brands and styles to choose from. The products also offer some well thought out ideas such as programmable LED colors and configurable paddle combinations that are very flexible.

I received a free Insteon switch with a recent smarthome order and I have to say I am also very impressed with the thought that went into that product. The shallower form factor is really helpful in retrofit installations and the LED level indicator bar has a great WOW factor. The white LEDs with interchangeable light pipes is a clever customization option and the wide variety of paddle colors makes it even more versatile.

I'm running a mixed setup right now and will most likely continue that way, but overall I think the major protocol usage will be INSTEON as I eventully replace older X-10 modules. I do have a 10 Z-Wave modules/2 wall switches in place and working perfect. The main reason for me to go to INSTEON is the look and feel of the SwitchLinc wall switches. WAF doesn't care for any of the looks/designs of the current Z-Wave wall switches available. My INSTEON module count is currently at 6 modules/8 wall switches. Still have 18 more older switchlincs and a dozen or so x-10 modules to replace with the INSTEON (or Z-Wave) versions. Just waiting now on INSTEON support for HS.

The Pod

I am running Z-wave right now and like the system by its self. From what I hear there is a ton of new stuff about to hit the market that will give me a ton of options with z-wave. The only thing that I am scared about is that with all the new stuff the software developers are not going to be able to keep up with support.

I wish Z-wave would sell a inexpensive software developers kit so that proper support could be added to all the applications that we chose to use. Many people don't buy Z-wave because of lack of support. They are afraid its going to vanish overnight like many other products have. The rich players have been able to through a lot of money at buying the SDKs and the little guys are getting left behind.

From a DIYer point of view I think that UPB or Insteon would be a better way to go simply because you will almost always be able to find support for them. SDKs come cheap from what I understand so lots of developers will be adding it to their software. Plus Insteon and UPB are 2-way and Z-wave is mostly 1-way.

I have been a little disapointed in Z-wave lately.

My house and office are blended and always changing :( . I think the best solution is a blended one so that way you can take advantage of the best of each of the technologies.

AutomatedOutlet said:
I think the best solution is a blended one so that way you can take advantage of the best of each of the technologies.
I totally agree with you Martin. :(

The Pod

The point of the poll is to find out which technology is most widely deployed in the DIY market, so offering a combination would defeat the purpose of the poll.

I've been out of the loop for a while now, so not sure.. Are any ZigBee products being sold to DIYers? The only products I have heard of that use that tech are sold by Control4.

Just checking :(

UPB - reliability was primary factor. I'm not a fan of wireless communications and prefer hard-wired technologies.

This is not an argument for or against any particular technology, just felt the need to point this out because I'm an anal retentive engineer type. I don't think UPB would be considered a hard wired technology in the sense that is usually used. It does use wires, but it's not hard wired like a Lutron lighting system. It's really more like Z-Wave but on a somewhat harder medium. It's subject to interference just like Z-Wave/Zigbee are, unlike a true hardwired solution that is either using a dedicated line or a line that is designed to be shared without interference (like firewire or ethernet, and even those wouldn't meet some people's standard for a hard-wired system probably.)

A big fat none!! As I have no neutral wires in this 1952 house of mine and wet plaster walls making rewiring a nightmare.

:)

:(

John

jwilson56 said:
A big fat none!! As I have no neutral wires in this 1952 house of mine and wet plaster walls making rewiring a nightmare.

:)

:(

John
John, you could use Z-Wave as an option. The Intermatic wall switches are two wire (meaning no neutral required). They just have the hot, load and ground wires to connect.

The Pod

Back