Which OS for HA Computer

Digger

I am putting together a HA computer and I am wondering peoples opinions on the best OS.

I have Windows 2000, XP Home, XP Pro Media Center to choose from at the moment.

I will eventually be running HA software (undecided), SAGE TV and a few other things.

THe machine has an AMD Sempron 3200 Procssor with 1 G ram and will have 4 or 5 hard drives.

Anything more than XP Pro is waste - you don't need MCE. XP Home could pose a limitation due to some wacky security & RDP & other constraints.

My issue with W2K is that it's more of a PITA to get drivers that work well. However, if you have W2K Server (or whatever that marketing term is for the server edition), that could be an option as I hear it has some cool networking stuff.

Yes its W2K SWerver... forgot to mention that

Trying to get any OS on the computer now with no luck

Trying to load Media Center now but cant get it to load. After it loads teh drivers it says "Please Wait". Had a similar problem when I tried 2000 Server.

Anyone have any ideas why I get the "please wait" and stuck in that mode. Happens with both XP and 2000 server.

CollinR said:
jwilson56 said:
MCE is just XP Pro with some additions. It would work fine.

John
You sure? I've been having trouble RDPing into my only MCE box.
I run two MCE boxes that I administer via RDP. I don't know why you're having trouble, but it should be able to be worked out.

Mike

Digger said:
Anyone have any ideas why I get the "please wait" and stuck in that mode. Happens with both XP and 2000 server.
Is your hardware on the MCE compatiblity list (especially the video card)?

EDIT: Never mind, as you said the problem exists with other operating systems as well.

jwilson56 said:
Hi, John:

Are you sure? I was told by both HP sales and Dell sales that MCE is XP Home with some additions. I'm sure some of those additions are from XP Pro, however.

Specifically, I was told that MCE would not connect to a domain, just as XP Home will not. I have not used MCE, solely due to this alleged limitation.

RDP doesn't support DirectX, so you can't run the MCE interface. This supposedly changed in Vista, but haven't tried it myself yet. I personally use vnc and logmein, since the resolution is so high.

rocco said:
jwilson56 said:
Hi, John:

Are you sure? I was told by both HP sales and Dell sales that MCE is XP Home with some additions. I'm sure some of those additions are from XP Pro, however.

Specifically, I was told that MCE would not connect to a domain, just as XP Home will not. I have not used MCE, solely due to this alleged limitation.
There are two or three things that MCE does NOT do that XP Pro does and domains is one of those things. For 99% of the typical owners, MCE does everything they need.

MCE is much closer to XP Pro than it is to XP Home.

Actually,you can get MCE on a domain without too much hassle (I do this myself). MCE has some features stripped so they can sell it cheaper than XP Pro, but the first setup disc is actually just XP Pro, with the MCE additions on disc 2 (if I remember correctly).

With that said, I would probably go with XP Pro as your first choice.

I only said MCE because he said that was one of the choices he had available (of the three OS's he listed). Its the closest to XP Pro and like Electron stated you can get it to do pretty much anything PRO does. Also you can venture into using MCE for your media time shifting needs down the road if you want. MCE works great for that... I have 3 tuner cards in mine and record HD OTA and display it at 1080p on my Samsung 56" DLP. Just plain awesome....

John

Windows Home Server looks like it's probably the perfect platform for a home control server. Additionally, the advanced security features in Vista are pretty cool.

We had to do some rethinking to fit "in the box" with Vista, but I think it's well worth it in the end.

Chris

Back