Whole house Audio & Video

Abnormal

Hi

Busy with my fist install. Currently ready to install the conduit, trying to complete the planning and need some help. 

[SIZE=10.5pt]Intending to install the following.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Lighting control and Alarm (Omni pro ii)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Whole House Audio (Possibly 8 zone HAI Hifi2) (using a multi room amp like this means 4 of the 8 zones are going to need speaker cable runs of around 100 - 130 feet.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Whole house Video ?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Questions that i have are[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]1) Can i install a powered sub on a zone (or one per zone) of the Hifi2? From what i can find it seems possible by connecting the high level output from the HiFi2 to the sub then to the speakers.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]2) The HiFi 2 allows the use of inputs form various sources using RIMs. So for example if I have a TV in the kitchen or a small radio in the bedroom then I assume I connect the headphone jack into the RIM. Does this mean then that i would always have to listen to the TV or the radio via the HiFi2 unless I unplug the cable (hardly makes sense to unplug the cable).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]3) Assuming that I distribute video to each room using HDMI or HDMI over catx cable. Is it possible to use this to also distribute audio to the whole house instead of using a dedicated multi room amplifier. So HDMI from wiring closet to Each room with an HDMI receiver/ amplifier in each room then Then each room could even have 5.1 sound. ( Thought this might be better to avoid the 120 foot speaker cable runs that I am going to need, not sure what tis will cost though)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]4) or would it be best to have a multi room amp for background music and then still use HDMI in the bedroom for instance to have the 5.1 sound.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]5) Whats the best solution for long speaker cables? Should I not worry about it and just wire the long runs or is an amplifier in each room better? I could locate the HiFi2 more centrally but then it would be far from the Omni pro ii which i intended to wire at the DB board. [/SIZE]

Regards

I'm not that familiar with the HAI components such as the HiFi2.

I recently completed a job where I used 100' HDMI cables from Monoprice and I can't see any loss in video quality. If you don't want to use HDMI, you can run CatX cable with baluns.

Regarding 'long' speaker runs... how long are you talking? Depending on the length, you shouldn't have any issue using 16/14/12 guage wire.

Abnormal said:
2) The HiFi 2 allows the use of inputs form various sources using RIMs. So for example if I have a TV in the kitchen or a small radio in the bedroom then I assume I connect the headphone jack into the RIM. Does this mean then that i would always have to listen to the TV or the radio via the HiFi2 unless I unplug the cable (hardly makes sense to unplug the cable).

The RIMs are in parallel with the source inputs on the main board.

So something plugged into a RIM in Room 1 is the same as something plugged into Source 1 on the main board.
The device plugged into the RIM becomes the source for that channel (or is mixed with the source plugged into the main board on that channel if active).

So if there is something plugged into a RIM in that room and you want to select a different source channel, you just select a different source channel.
No need to unplug the local RIM.

Abnormal said:
1) Can i install a powered sub on a zone (or one per zone) of the Hifi2? From what i can find it seems possible by connecting the high level output from the HiFi2 to the sub then to the speakers.

You should be able to use the variable outs at the top of the board (for Zones 1 and 8) as inputs into a sub.

For other zones you'd need to be able to input the HV speaker lines into the sub.

drvnbysound said:

Regarding 'long' speaker runs... how long are you talking? Depending on the length, you shouldn't have any issue using 16/14/12 guage wire.
Longest speaker runs are between 100' and 130'.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Assuming that I distribute video to each room using HDMI or HDMI over catx cable. Is it possible to use this to also distribute audio to the whole house instead of using a dedicated multi room amplifier. So HDMI from wiring closet to Each room with an HDMI receiver/ amplifier in each room then Then each room could even have 5.1 sound. ( Thought this might be better to avoid the 120 foot speaker cable runs that I am going to need, not sure what tis will cost though)[/SIZE]

Over the years here have done the two such that the 5.1 + is in the subzones.  I have layered in multiple rooms with sub audio zones and utilized my Russound zoned amplifiers. I am at 12 primary zoned audio plus 8 secondary (connected to automation box).  There are many wires for the 20 or so audio zones.  (I listen though more to audio then watch video).

I have also gone to using little Aopen DE's as my primary means of providing MM to each of the LCD TV's plus whatever.  The Aopen DE's are all connected via Gb and do stream whatever today.  (including live TV from a mythTV box).  Being a bit into automation can remote control these boxes just fine.

Hey if 130' or so is not a long run for speaker wire I guess I will be fine then. Thought these were long based on some online guides.

Back