Wire Wire Wire

jlokanis

Looking to get the following:

RG6 quad shielded solid copper core.
Cat5e
CL3 speaker wire (14 or 16 ga?)
22 ga wire for security sensors.

What specs should I look for?

Where did you get the best deals on this stuff?

Thanks!

-John

I am also about the purchase the same wire as you. I looked on a few sites (automatedoutlet.com, smarthome.com, wireworld.com) and found the prices to be good.

However, a word of warning!

Be sure to check the shipping charges before you decide to order. I have found some to be $90 for a single box of Cat5e. This was not from Automatedoutlet however, as their shipping prices are always good. =)

From what I have found, it would be a good idea to check out the local electrician supply stores. Call around to see what you can find.

dang. I've gotten great prices from both markertek.com and cat5cableguy.com

Our wire prices include any surcharges due to the weight. So, shipping price would still be a flat rate of $6.90 and no tax for most people.

I bought 1000ft. of RG6 quad shield, solid core copper. I'll never use all of it, so if let me know how much you need, I'll part it out cheap. I paid $72 for it a couple of months ago.

Check your local electrical distributors, Platt, CED, North Coast Electric, etc. By far the best prices I found while I was building my house.

One word of caution, you need to know what you want because they mostly deal with contractors who do.

I just bought 500' of beldin banana peel from Tri_State Electronic (tselectric.com)
It was $253.35 for 2 Cat5e/2 quad RG6.
I also bought 500 feet of 4/14 belden speaker wire for $194.65. Shipping from IL to my location was $56.70. I received the wire in 2 days.
I would have purchased from automated outlet if they sold this type of wire.

From what I've read, if you are running speaker wire under 50' you can use 16 gauge. Over 50' use 14 gauge or 12 gauge. Others may have different opinions.

I previously bought similar wire from smarthomesystems.com. I would not recommend them. They didn't ship what I ordered(not even close) and it was very difficult to contact them. Finally I had to contact BBB online and cancel my visa charge.

Because wire is heavy and shipping can be expensive, it's sometimes cheaper to get wire from local home depots or local electrical distributors.

as to what to buy:

cat5e or greater rated to at least 350mhz - they higher the better

rg6 quad shield with solid copper core swept to 3 ghz (will need 3ghz for satellite installation of hi def video)

all THX installation's require 12ga stranded speaker wire so for home theather rooms use the 12 ga and you can use the cheaper wire (16ga or 14ga for whole house audio) for other runs.

I believe this is all correct, but I may be a little off on ratings.

As to pricing, I am somewhat impulsive. I found that most wiring can be purchased at local shops (home depot, lowe's, etc.) for just a little more than you can get it online. The convenience is worth the extra few dollars.

I am finding it difficult to locate anyone who states that their RG6QS is solid copper core and/or swept to 3GHz. Does anyone know a reliable source for this?

Also, I am looking for the following wire:
22ga/4cond solid code for security.
14ga/2cond speaker wire (CL3?)

18ga/2cond stranded speaker wire (CL3?)
or
combination 2 conductor unsheilded and 2 condictor shielded intercom wire (22ga?)

18ga/2cond Firewire (for smoke detectors, etc..)

Mini coax (for HDTV distrubution)

Is there any one store that has all this and reasonable prices?

Also looking for recommendations on window/door mag contacts, motions sensors, glass break sensors that work well with an Elk M1 system.

Thanks,

-John

I buy most wire from a guy local here in Fla. I spoke to him the other day and he told me he ships free with all orders over $500 which is easy if you're doing a whole house prewire. He indicated ground shipping is very reasonable but depends what you order and where its going to.

Some sample prices:

Cat5E (Big E vs Small e) PVC in most colors tested to 350mHz is $54/1000'
RG6 Quad Shield Solid Core is $74/1000'
22/4 solid unshielded PVC is $40/1000'

The place is Platinum Wire and Cable and the phone number is 954-590-3947 and you can ask for Nick.

Of course I think the best place for all your other equipment is Automated Outlet. You can even get most of your cable there, especially if ordering other stuff.

I think as was mentioned above, markertek.com is a pretty good place to find RG6QS and the mini coax. They deal with in mostly belden, which is a tad more expensive, but for those two applications I think it's warranted. Good descriptions of the wire also.

www.westlake-electronic.com is another good place to find wire if you know what you are looking for before hand (ie model or series). I've had good personal experience with both, but westlake's site is a bit hard to browse if you don't know what you want beforehand.

--Jamie

I have tried to sort out the markertek web site, but can't seem to figure out where the right RG6QS is. It seems every timeI think I found it, it turns out to be coffer covered steel conductor or it is 10x more than it should be. Can someone tell me (or post a link) to the exact wire that is RG6QS soild copper core swept to 3GHz?

Thanks,

-John

jlokanis said:
I have tried to sort out the markertek web site, but can't seem to figure out where the right RG6QS is. It seems every timeI think I found it, it turns out to be coffer covered steel conductor or it is 10x more than it should be. Can someone tell me (or post a link) to the exact wire that is RG6QS soild copper core swept to 3GHz?

Thanks,

-John
John,

Belden 1694A is a good choice for the RG6\Q. Again, belden is going to be more expensive than your generic coax (though markertek was the cheapest place I found it). Here is the link for it http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp?baseI...=&search=0&off=

Do you need the higher quality wire?? I can't say, but you should be able to decide when you look at your needs. For the mini coax you mentioned, are you thinking component distribution or something else? If component, I would use a 3 or 5 bundle (if you want audio along with the component) like belden 7787A or Canare V3-4CFB. You can save some money and get a non-bundled cable, but you have to make sure the conductors are the exact same length when you cut them. You wouldn't want your color info getting to your HD set before you luminance or vice-versa :lol:

If you are a bit confused, which is easy with this stuff!, sites like hometech.com are very well laid out, unlike some of the other ones we are talking about, and it should be easier to find what you are looking for. A bit more expensive, but if you are spending a good amount of time on this it could be worth it. Also, you might ask Martin at AO if he could help you get some of this stuff, though I didn't see the mini coax on his site.

--Jamie

Everyone has their own preference in cable. I myself sincerely hate solid core small gauge (22 awg for instance) wire (solid is of course OK for coax).

It is more prone for breakage during handling (bending/pulling) and you really have to be careful not to nick the conductor when stripping the wire. Stranded is more of a pain to insert in terminal strip sockets, but as long as you take your time and tightly wrap the ends with your fingers it will not be much of a problem.

My friend and I ran 22 awg stranded wiring for his new home (details on that HERE) and did not have one problem with the cable.

In my present home I had to have the security wiring run by Efficient Electric of Las Vegas (track home build, will not let you do any wiring) and they used solid core. I had a lot of opens and shorts that I found when I wired the doors/windows/sensors in place. Let me just say I am now an expert drywall patcher/finisher :lol: .

Of course I'm sure my friend and I were a LOT more careful than these "professionals".

Your choice of course.

Steve said:
I buy most wire from a guy local here in Fla. I spoke to him the other day and he told me he ships free with all orders over $500 which is easy if you're doing a whole house prewire. He indicated ground shipping is very reasonable but depends what you order and where its going to.

Some sample prices:

Cat5E (Big E vs Small e) PVC in most colors tested to 350mHz is $54/1000'
RG6 Quad Shield Solid Core is $74/1000'
22/4 solid unshielded PVC is $40/1000'

The place is Platinum Wire and Cable and the phone number is 954-590-3947 and you can ask for Nick.

Of course I think the best place for all your other equipment is Automated Outlet. You can even get most of your cable there, especially if ordering other stuff.
Just wanted to update this with a few things. First, if you do call, you must ask for Nick and tell him you were referred by CocoonTech to insure the lowest price. Also, they were just bought out by a larger company called Keystone, so they will likely answer the phone that way now. The only change should be that there is even more stuff available now...

Edit: One of the reasons their prices are so low is because they buy cable in huge bulk quantities from overseas and roll and box it themselves. But all their cables are certified like cat5E swept to 350mHz and RG6 SOLID swept to 3Ghz.

Back